Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Mechanic, Mobile Elect., ARA Cert.
Experience:  Have been Repairing most makes of Nissan for over 30 years, even when they were Datsun
1609972

how do you adjust the timing on an 84 nissan 720 ...

how do you adjust the timing on an ''84 nissan 720 2.4L pickup?
Ignition Timing or are you replacing the Timing Chain?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to molurch's Post: Ignition timing, the truck was given to me by a friend for free, and it's used as an off road vehicle only. It's been sitting for a little over a year and a half, and it ran fine when it was parked. I recently decided to start using it again, but when I started it the engine was missing badly, and it wouldn't pull it's self up hill. It will back up any hill and run fine going down. I drained the old fuel before I even attempted to start it, and replaced all of the filters, plugs, and wires, because it needed those changed when I parked it.

Here is NISSAN procedure:

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to molurch's Post: Do you believe that adjusting the timing will fix my problem, or should I be looking for something else, due to the issues I described to you?

You stated:
filters, plugs, and wires

Did you replace or check, Cap, Rotor, Vacuum lines & leaks, compression check, etc. since it has been sitting?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to molurch's Post: I checked the cap, rotor, and compression, and as far as I could tell, all of the vacuum lines appeared to be in the correct locations, and weren't cracked. However, I'm used to working on small block chevys, and I have no clue where all of the vacuum lines should be on a Nissan. There are 2 or 3 ports capped off on the carb, but other than that, every port had a line on it.

Nissan had a problem with the Distributors of that engine & had a program offering rebuilts.
With lack of power, it sounds like it can be timing related, but also Distributor Advance
Definitely check timing & be sure carb is open at full throttle

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for the help, I'll see what it does tomorrow.
Thank You
Thanks for using J/A