Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

How do you enable and disable the alarm without the fob?

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Nissan
4/30/2008
Nissan Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Mechanic, Mobile Elect., ARA Cert. replied 9 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Mechanic, Mobile Elect., ARA Cert.

To deactivate the theft warning system, a door must be unlocked with the key or remote controller.
When the key is used to unlock the door,

• through front door key cylinder switch LH
  • through front door key cylinder switch RH
  • through front door key cylinder switch LH or RH
  • through back door key cylinder switch
  • through back door key cylinder switch
Not helpful yet. I assume LH and RH mean left and right respectively, but am not sure, and that does not help because I am trying to learn to enable the alarm as well.
You can Arm & Disarm with the Key, unless there is a problem with the Factory Alarm Module.
You should also be able to ARM with the Driver Door Lock Switch on the Door Panel, after all doors & hood are closed
OK, so how is it actually done? Turning the key a single direction does not accomplish the task of arming. Is there a some combination or period of time? It does work to disable, but not to enable.

Once the Key is turned to Lock, you need to wait apprx. 45 seconds for the Dome Lights to go off & the Alarm to Set.
Roll down a window & Lock the Doors (be sure all doors & hood are closed) wait apprx 45 seconds. Reach inside & open door.
If Alarm does not trigger, try the other Door Switch.
If Alarm does not ARM, then there is a problem with the System

Don't know what you mean by "other door switch." Alarm worked with the fob 3 days ago (before I lost my newer fob -- old fob only disables alarm and unlocks), so I know it works. The actions described above -- which I already have tried -- have consistently resulted in car locking and light going off, but alarm does not set.

So far, you haven't given me any information that I didn't have to start with. Try this, is there a way to enable and disable the alarm using the key (or some other button or switch that is easibly accessible) that is separate from the locking mechanisms, and if so, how? I am particularly focused on enabling the alarm, as I can use the fob to disable.

<< Try this, is there a way to enable and disable the alarm using the key (or some other button or switch that is easibly accessible) that is separate from the locking mechanisms, and if so, how? >>

Thank you for informing me of previously tried methods. So as to not waste each others time, it would be best to submit all info first.

The answer was given above for Arm & DisArm.

The Alarm only Arms & DisArms with the Remote & Door Key Switch.

Here is a rundown of Nissan Alarm description for Arming & Disarming:

click below:

ALARM

Dear MoLurch,
I know you have not been paid for your answer; I'm still debating whether there was significant value in the exchange. The problem with Internet businesses is that they tend to force menu choices and cut and paste answers, without imparting any understanding of the problem. And then, because things are set up on such a tight schedule, there is never an interest to correct that problem. About now, either you or your supervisor is saying "whatever, move on." But that simply perpetuates the problem.

Had you initially told me "The key and the alarm are linked; if you turn the key and the alarm does not activate, then the alarm is broken," I might have been satisfied. But you did not, and in fact, you blamed me. At this point, I'm still wondering whether there is a possibility of activating the alarm without buying a new fob, but I don't know, because I can't tell how much trust to put in the answer. Don't take that personally - I don't know you, nor do I have any how much you actually know about fixing cars. I'm not a mechanic, and thus, the schematic does not do much, any moreso than a lawyer simply quoting a statute for a client. The client is not paying to know the language of the statute, but rather, the meaning and its potential impact on the client's business. Essentially, I'm right back where I started, wondering whether there is an easy fix for my car, or whether I need the assistance of a professional mechanic.

But wait, that is not the end of it. Were it to end there, I would not press the accept button. What you have reminded me -- are you still with me through this? -- is that there is a signficant difference between information and understanding. And that might be worth something. But again, the philosophical quandary; I would be paying you simply because you did not answer my question, rather than because you did. Is that worth $9 or keeping your 100% success rate intact? I haven't decided yet. You could convince me it is. Or you could wait until I make the decision myself.

Respectfully, Customer

<>

Apparently you are refering to "automatic" notifications, that I have no control over.

As far as your lengthy statement..... "whatever"

There was no "blame".
If you don't think any of the info is acceptable, then "don't accept"...
A lot of people are looking for instant answers, when there is only one way.
I didn't design your vehicle & can only relay my experience.
The $4.50 I make by providing answers thru a computer, that can take a lot of people hours to understand (if at all), is of no consequence to me, as even the feedback.
If you don't understand or feel you don't have sufficient experience in repairing your vehicle, you need to seek someone locally that can.

If you want to relist for another Answer from another Expert, let me know & I will relist

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch