Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

replaced my spark plugs and an ignition coil..lost power..gonna stall

Customer Question
i just replaced my spark...
i just replaced my spark plugs and an ignition coil that was damaged and my car seems to be running worse than it was prior to doing this. it feels like i have lost power when i go to step on it it lags like it is gonna stall out on me can you please help
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Nissan
3/6/2008
Nissan Mechanic: Paul Mac, Technician replied 9 years ago
Paul Mac
Paul Mac, Technician

Well I would definitly re-check the spark plug gap. Also for some reason Nissans are very finicky about the plugs you use. Make sure you are using NGK or Denso plugs. I have seen problems develop from using Delco or champion plugs. But you may want to get the ECM checked for any codes, usually Auto-zone will do this for free. You may have some other problems. Is the car missing pretty steadily, even at idle? Or is it idling normally?

Paul

Reply to Paul Mac's Post: yes the car is missing pretty steadily. at first it was alot when it was idling. now it kind of does it then doesn't and then does and so on while i am at a stop sign, in reverse or in drive

It may be that you got a faulty coil. Can you isolate the miss to an individual cylinder? If you can, then try moving the coil from that cylinder and see if the miss moves. I have seen brand new coils bad, especially aftermarket ones. Like I said though, I would try and recheck the gap too.

Paul

i bought a duralast coil it was the only one that was slighty damaged. i had a mechanic run a computer check on my car and he said it was something to do with the ignition coils but he told me he couldn't isolate the exact coil. he told me to buy the recommended spark plugs for the car and to replace the damaged ignition coil which i did that already and the problem didn't change. this has been causing me frustration&stress can u think of anything else??

Sorry I guess I was confused and thought you had replaced all the coils, not just one. Well that year maxima was know for coil problems, usually you get a "ignition Primary" code. In which case you usually have to replace ALL the coils. The ignition primary code basiclly means that it is detecting a miss on more than one cylinder. So at this point I would recommend replacing all the coils and it will fix your problem. I have probably replaced the coils on at least 50 maximas for this problem. Hopefully this helps.

Paul

thats like $500 to do that and if that doesn't do the trick then what do i do then? i don't want to keep putting amounts of money like that in the car and it not helping me. is there a way to pinpoint which coil it could be so i only have to buy one or maybe two if thats how many are bad. like is there a way to have them tested to see if they are bad? or is my only choice to have to replace all of them because i don't have that kind of money?

Well the ignition primary code is saying that there is a misfire in multiple coil, not nesecarily all of them. The first thing you need to do is determine which coils are misfiring. Basiclly you need to do a power balance test. Basiclly what you are going to do is while the vehicle is running you need to disconnect individual coils one at a time. Some when you disconnect them will cause the engine to run worse. Those coils are the good ones. Some you are going to disconnect and they wont really change how rough the engine is running, those are the suspected bad coils. Now in order to ensure it is a bad coil, try moving that coil to a cylinder you think is a good cylinder. If the miss moves to the good cylinder, now you know you have a bad coil. And presto, a little work and you can identify the bad coils. If the engine still runs and is semi-drivable then you probably only have 2, maybe 3 coils that are bad. Now if you move swap some coils and the problem doesn't move then you know now that the problem isn't a coil, it is possibly a spark plug, or possibly and injector. Hopefully this will help you get a little cheaper alternative. If this helped then please accept, and tips are always appreciated.

Paul

i tried what you told me to with the ignition coils and at first one of them seemed like it didn't affect the car when i disconnected it but after i switched it it did have an effect on the card when i disconnected the coil. all of them seem to make the car run worse now when i disconnect them and when i disconnected one of them it made my check engine light come on. what should i do now.
Nissan Mechanic: Jason, Technician replied 9 years ago
Jason
Jason, Technician
Have you had your fuel injectors checked? listen to them see if you hear a clicking noise from them and see how loud it gets or doesn't
no i have not had them checked. all i did to my car was add some gumout gas cleaner and lucas oil stabilizer and changed my spark plugs. ever since then the car lags picking up speed from stop to go. i haven't heard a clicking noise but there is a noise that is made from the car lagging when i step on the gas, it shakes and shakes when i am driving or when i stop at a stop sign or traffic light. would my best bet be to take the car to a nissan dealership and have them look at it and if so where do u think would be the best place for me to tell them to start
sometimes the injectors go bad, especially with ethanol now being in gas. Have replaced quite a few due to that. I would recommend have Nissan check those out for you.
are the injectors expensive? do they sell aftermarket ones? so you think that would be the place to start first? is there a way that they can adjust the timing on my ignition coils or no?
I would strongly recommend use Nissan parts. timing on ignition coils isn't adjustable. I would recommend let Nissan diagnose and repair it as they'll have a much easier time tracking down the source of the problem than you will thanks to diagnostic scan tools and experience.
Jason
Jason
Jason, Technician