Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

i have a nissan maxima that is hard to start all times,when ...

Customer Question
i have a nissan maxima...
i have a nissan maxima that is hard to start all times,when it turns it makes backfire sound in the intake side,and it looks like a engine with too much advance.i have changed the crank reference sensor and the cam sensor and it does the same thing. last time it developed a high surging when you start it and you can not control the speed.i have checked the wires for the sensors crank,cam they are good.and the synchro for the crank and cam is good also.last time when it began the high surging i put the scanner and i get a code for the knock sensor.when the engine starts it runs very wheel except last time when it began the surging.give me a help i am lost in this diagnostic tree. the engine is a 3l,1998,distributorless,injection.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Nissan
12/22/2007
Nissan Mechanic: Infiniti Nissan Specialist, ASE master technician replied 10 years ago
Infiniti Nissan Specialist
Infiniti Nissan Specialist, ASE master technician
Have you checked the start signal fuse? It is in the LH dash fuse box. I've seen that blown once, and missing on another car and produced similar symptoms. The only other thing I have heard of, and have NOT run into, is a ground problem between the engine and transmission resulting in symptoms similar to yours. This has apparantly happened after transmission removal, and is said to be a poor surface contact between the engine and transmission. Any easy way to rule this out, would be install an additional ground from the engine to the transmission bolt. Or you could take it a step further and ground one of the starter bolts to the engine. Without seeing live data stream during cranking I can only guess as to what this problem is. If you could have a someone hook up a scanner with live data stream capability, you could see what the engine is lacking in during cranking and diagnosis would be fairly simple. These cars also have a known issue with the engine main harnesses that cause all kinds of crazy things to happen with them. The harness tends to break by the passenger side strut tower, toward the firewall, where it bends radically. Try wiggling it there and seeing if you get anything strange to happen.
Infiniti Nissan Specialist
THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE, BUT I CAN NOT CHECK THE CAR TODAY.BUT YOU SAY THERE IS A START SIGNAL THAT GOES, I THINK, TO THE COMPUTER TO GIVE MORE PULSATION TO INJECTORS WHEN WE START. THE FIRST TIME I TRIED TO START THE CAR IT WAS FLOODING.I CAN TELL,IT MUST HAVE SUFFICIENT OR TOO MUCH FUEL FOR STARTING.ALL IGNITION COMPONENTS ARE GOOD.I WILL CHECK ALL THINGS NEXT WEEK.BUT TELL ME WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE MAF SENSOR FOR THIS PROBLEM.THANKS I WAIT YOUR RESPONSE.
MAFS will generally make the engine run lean and it won't run well once you get it started if it has failed.
I do not think there is a start signal for this car.Because i have checked the wiring diagram i do not see anything. If there is a start signal can you tell me what is the fuse number and what is the fuse box, please. Not all cars have this start signal.
It is fuse #33 in the inside box.
graphic
I can not say if your answer is good or not because,i can not check the car now, but only the next week after Christmas.But i must to tell you that i have some doubt about your answer because the car is hard to start at cold and at hot.I think if it was the start signal it should not must be hard to start when the engine is hot because generally the engine does not need too much fuel when it is hot. what do you think?
It would be hard to start under all conditions.
I TELL YOU THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX TIME.BUT I MUST TO TELL YOU THAT I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH A MITSUBISHI THAT DID THE SAME THING BUT ONLY WHEN COLD AND IT WAS THE START SIGNAL THAT WAS MISSING. BUT IT STARTED VERY WELL WHEN HOT.
OK Claude, good luck in diagnosing your car.
Infiniti Nissan Specialist
Infiniti Nissan Specialist