Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It keeps blowing its fuse for the stop lamp. It is an

It keeps blowing its...

It keeps blowing its fuse for the stop lamp. It is an infiniti g35 coupe

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

Yup

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your G35 Coupe?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G35 Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?

So i disconnected both rear lights, still blows a fuse when i touch the breaks. i took the break switch out and it does not blow a fuse. went and bought a new break switch and the new blew the fuse as soon as i put in. Both license plate lights and front marker lights work fine (they are on the same circuit) in addition to blowing the fuse the abs and vfd lights come on when fuse blows...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Lol im running out of 10amp fuses... kk sounds good.

7/5/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned you will receive a system automated call request, that is not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Also I am not paid hourly by just answers, I am only paid when you rate me, so if you could please respect my time and knowledge by rating me when we are finished that would be wonderful. If you could please indicate your level of experience and what you are looking to get out of your session today. Ok lets get started!

So somewhere from the brake switch to the back is a broken wire or short to ground, best tool fot his job is a circuit finder, they have them at harbor freight pretty cheap, you can also buy reset-able fuse so you dont keep blowing that one while you check it https://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I know a bit about cars but an expert by no means. Unsure of what a circuit finder is...I have a test light and a multimeter...

this will send a signal though the wire and you use the tracer part and it will stop beeping when the break is found, pretty cool little tool, I have one my self and works great, I have highlighted the area where the could be a break or short to ground

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex6iob4ayvwxzfc/thurs6.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i will be back in a bit. car needs to be running to use the circuit finder?

oh no this is a non running no key on test, to get the hang of it just use a junk piece of wire and you will see how it works

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i just disconnected the last break light in the interior of the car and it still blows the fuse. for this circuit finder i will just be inserting the little two prong device into the electrical connections of the various lights and then tracing the wires with the tracer part? And how sensitive is it? Does one need to take the harness apart (cut zip ties etc) or will it read through that?

it will read though everything and you just want to unplug your brake switch and tie into pink blue wire and turn it on and start tracing until you have found the break, it wont go though panels though I would start in the back at the lights and see if you get signal there if you get signal there something in one of your connectors or close to connector is short to ground

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i will go pick up a circuit finder. be back in a bit.

sounds good ill be here, there are videos online that show people using it, pretty cool little tool

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hi are you still there?

I sure am

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sweet. fell asleep there yesterday been on night shift for the last month and a bit. So i picked up the circuit tester. I seen a video online. I have to hook this up to my battery it seems?

that is correct, sorry about your work, ive been there myself, 12 hour days ughhhh

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah they get old. So red to battery positive. Now the leads of the sender are not long enough to reach inside to the break switch I imagine I can just use a piece of wire though and then wrap it around pink and blue wire where it goes into the clip for the break switch?

yes you can do that, make sure the brake switch is unplugged to do the test

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
yeah it is as soon as i plug it in it always blows the fuse.

as soon as you plug it in or step on the brakes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
at first it was when i touched the brakes. now it is as soon as i plug it in.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i think that is because its not currently in its holder so it thinks the brakes are always being pressed i imagine.

ok thank makes sense,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do my brake lights need to be plugged in for this exercise? All three are currently unhooked. I hooked the red alligator clip up the positive and ran a piece of copper wire from black alligator clip into the switch on the side that the pink and blue wire runs into. Not getting a tone. and the green continuity light does not come on.

no the circuit needs to be clear of any resistance, if you put bulbs in that will complete the circuit to ground and ruin the tests

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not sure the gizmo I bought is working correctly. There is a self check which says to simply turn the sending unit to tone and then turn the receiver unit on and turn the rotary dial up. Then the receiver should make a noise. It doesn't say to have anything hooked up to it at the time...How could a person just check a regular wire or something to see if its actually working?

did you get the harborfeight model?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't think we have harbor freight around here. I'm in Canada.

whats the model number of the unit and ill get you a diagram of how to test it, I have to run out for 20 mins but will respond when I get back

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
power fist v3.0(###) ###-####