Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Infiniti QX4 that idleing very rough, and is…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 2001 Infiniti QX4 that idleing very rough, and is now stalling when stopped at a light

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Consitent surging the mechanic resolved the idle problem but now the engine is stalling somewhat intermittently at stop signs, etc.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your QX4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im checking with my mechanic at the moment, I believe he replaced the MAF

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We have no engine codes being thrown and we are now idleing smoothly but have the stalling problem when stopped

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Infiniti
The mechanic fixed the rough idle and did the following things:Replaced IAC motor
Removed MAF and cleaned
Disconnected Battery
Checked for Vacuum Leaks
4/3/2018
Infiniti Mechanic: Jake, Infiniti Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Jake
Jake, Infiniti Mechanic
Hey there, thanks for the question.I have to ask why you replaced the IAC? Did you have a P0505?
Not sure, the mechanic chose to. He said he wasnt encountering any error codes
Ok good! Cause that’s a scary code to get on these trucks.
The mechanic is baffled! The truck only has 70k miles and is in otherwise excellent shape
the idle is corrected right? Just stalls at stop lights and has no codes? But when you rev into higher RPMS it feels smooth?
Yep that's correct
I would bet you anything is there are NO vacuum leaks that’s it’s a distributor issue. Have the mechanic check the fuel trim corrections. If the banks look good then a distributor is likely in order. I even see times where the seal will leak internally and oil will build up in the inside bottom cover and cause it to stall at idle.
Great, I'll have him check it out thank you
Your welcome, if you run into more questions just let me know!If not all I ask is you leave a kind rating.Thanks.
Will do thank you!
No problem
Mechanic says theres no distributor, is that the case?
The mechanic describes that when it stalls, he has to put the car in park and cycle the key back and forth several times likes he resetting the IAC

Hey, I apologize for the delay.

Yes, he is likely right. They switched from distributor to coils from 2000 - 2001

did he RELEARN the "Idle air volume" after replacing the IAC?

if he did NOT relearn it with his scan tool, or doe snot have the option he can do it manually.

1. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 1 second.

2. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.

3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.

4. Check that all items listed under the topic “PRE-CONDITIONING” (previously mentioned) are in good order.

5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.

6. Start the engine and let it idle for at least 30 seconds.

7. Disconnect throttle position sensor harness connector (brown), then reconnect it within 5 seconds.

8. Wait 20 seconds.

9. Make sure that idle speed is within specifications. If not, the result will be incomplete. In this case, find the cause of the problem by referring to the NOTE below.

10. Rev up the engine two or three times. Make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within specifications.

lastly, since all the mechanic did is CLEAN the MAF.

Have him tell me what the fuel corrections are when idling before it stalls. I am guessing they are the rich fuel mixture is causing it to stall.

have him report the fuel trims at idle to you and get back to me! thanks.

Thx will do!

thank you.

If you’ll need anything else just let me know. If not please be sure to leave a kind rating is all.

Thanks.