Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Air pockets stuck in coolant system. 165xxx. 03 g35 coupe. I…

Customer Question
Air pockets stuck in...

Air pockets stuck in coolant system

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

165xxx

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?

03 g35 coupe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G35 Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had a radiator replacement done at a garage. they couldn't bleed the system so i took it back. I have bled it before when I replacded the radiator in the past, however, this time it will not bleed the air.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Infiniti
4/1/2018
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 24 days ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you still need help on how to bleed your coolant system to get all your air pockets out?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Well, its not necessarily bleeding. I cant seem to get the air pockets out completely.

To get the air out of the system, you have to bleed it. Give me a min to type out how to do it...

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I am aware. Ive removed the bleed screw, removed radiator cap, warmed engine with heat on ( heat works) reved to 2500 rpm, saw some bubbles, still a cold bottom radiator hose. I dont see coolant at the bleed screw either.

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket ( See Links for images ). Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. I also turn the engine off a couple times and wait 2 or 3 mins to let the air pocket move and bubble out. In the mean time you want to check your vents to see if your getting heat. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat.

Now this bleeding process will take a hour to a hour and a half. So take your time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6luamesuegqqgb/fill%20rad.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/etl40rzg6fgeaop/Fill%20Rad%202.jpg?dl=0

Yeah, but you need to raise the nose of the car..

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I have done all of this with the front raised.

Did you spend a hour to a hour 1/2 of running the car ?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Just about. I let the car run from cool to normal temp. I saw a few bubbles rise for about 10 mins then i closed it off and teated and the temp gauge shot up as its been doing. Its frustrating.

Please read my steps and make sure you raise the nose as high as if it was on ramps. Keep the coolant bucket on it and let it run till the thermostat opens. When it does the coolant bucket is going to want to fill up and over flow for a second right before it opens then it's going to want to suck down the coolant. Also make sure you have the heat on face mode and recirc on..

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Gotcha

So lets give that a try and see if that works.. I have been bleeding these coolant systems this way for over 27 years since I started working for Infiniti.

Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 21 days ago

Just checking in to see how your making out.. Did the steps I gave you help bleed the system?

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician