Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a bad knock sensor on my 2001 qx4. Where are the

I have a bad...

I have a bad knock sensor on my 2001 qx4. Where are the wires for a relocation?

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

Knock sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your QX4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had a reading for an 02 sensor and knock sensor. Not realizing that the 02 sensor problem might have caused by the bad knock sensor, I replaced the 02 sensor. I currently have just the PO325 error. Knock sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, is there an easy way to replace the knock sensor or is just best to relocate? How do I relocate the sensor on the V6 3500?

3/28/2018
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Most people who have done the relocate have not been successful. The knock sensor won't cause any running issue or cause the 02 sensor to have problems. The knock sensor does not even turn on the Service Engine Soon light. Normally you find you have a knock sensor code when something else turns the light on.

Are you due for inspection or something?

I am overdue
It's raining, can you just tell me how to relocate the sensor? or should I call you when I'm outside tomorrow?

I am going to be honest with you. If you try the relocate, the issue people always fail is cause of the shielded wire. But if you like to try, it's up to you. But once you tamper with the harness, it's extremely hard to get that shielded wire back the way it should be.

You would need to cut the wires from the back passenger side where it travels under the intake plenum. Then people mount it to the intake plenum after they wire it in. But they use a Knock Sensor pig tail and wire it in that way.

That is the wiring diagram. As I said, it's not as easy as it looks. Once you taper with that shielded wire.. Then you are married to the issue. Me personally, I have worked for Nissan / Infiniti for 27 years. I don't mess with the relocate. I replace the sensor. I have already had to repair a bunch of these cause people try to relocate them and fail and I can't get the shielded wire to work any more.

So just giving you the heads up.

What is the cost of a correct repair?

We charge 4 hours labor to replace it.

Keep in mind also, if it runs to the point where you can't get the shielded wire back to allow the ecm to communicate. The harnesses are discontinued. So you are going to be really in a bind..

Where is the ECM?

That is under the drivers side dash area.

ok, Thanks

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician