Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 M35 that's has a slight power steering fluid…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 M35 that's has a slight power steering fluid leak from under the car. I'm skeptical about using stop-leak additives to try to resolve.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak? And have you checked the reservoir?

No, I cannot see the leak itself, only an drips in my garage. I do keep my fluid topped off.... every couple of weeks or so, never letting it hit min level.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your M35 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything other than keeping fluid in it. I would like to check the hoses, but wanted advise on where to look myself before climbing under the car or pulling covers off top of engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Would they recommend using a stop-leak additive as a first resort and if so what type?

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Infiniti
3/28/2018
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 29 days ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

You never want to use a Stop Leak additive. Especially on a system with circulating fluid. All it would do is clog up the system and require everything to be replaced.

If you had to say, where about under the car do you see the leak? Passenger side back center?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
passenger side towards the very front of car

Then that is most likely a Power Steering Pressure Line or a Return line that is leaking. So what I would suggest is to have it checked to verify which line is leaking exactly so it can be repaired.

The lower engine cover has most of the fluid leak build up on it. So that is why you are seeing small amounts. When we take these covers down to check for leaks, they are normally soaked.

So if it's toward the passenger front, that is normally a line. If it was towards the back center, that would be a power steering rack. Which of course is a lot more money that a line.

Most commonly, it's the return hose that leaks. But the Power steering pump is on the same side. The pumps never go bad on these cars. It's always the lines.. So don't give in to a pump

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician