Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2013 jx35, Need high beam relay location, both low beams…

Customer Question
2013 jx35, Need high...

2013 jx35, Need high beam relay location

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to help find that for your Infiniti JX35. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Both low beams work. Only right high beam works. Swapped bulbs and same thing, so its not the bulb. Swapped left and right fuses and its the same, so its not the fuse

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Infiniti
3/27/2018
Infiniti Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 24 days ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

T​he relay sends power to fuse and then fuse sends power to headlight so we know relay is good. It sounds like you have a wiring problem between headlight and fuse. Check to see if fuse has power if so check to see if wire going to bulb has power if so replace connector. If power at fuse but no power at connector then you need to follow wire to find damage or run a new wire. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, thanks.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Unplugged wire from ballast and there is 11.9v at wires at left and right connectors on non black wires. How does power go from 12v on wire to high or low beam. Does the ballast do that. On the light where the high beam works, the voltage doesn't change when high beam is clicked on

I​f ballast has good power/ground then that would mean ballast has failed. From what I see on wiring diagram each hi beam and low beam has its own ballast. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
High and low are within the same housing inside ballast.

Nevermind, I was looking at wrong diagram. At connector 2 wires should have good ground do they? If not check wiring. If ground is good then check where bulb plugs in to see if it has power/ground at bulb if so that would mean connection or bulb. Let me know, thanks.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
but what makes the light go from high to low beam. On the classic chevy's there were two separate wires for high/ low. if the ballast does that, then its probably the culprit. Has good ground at plug into ballast. How would I check the ground at connector to bulb

I'm not completely sure what you are talking about but there are 4 wires. A power/ground for hi beam and a power/ground for low beam but low beam uses a ballast and hi beam goes directly to bulb. You can remove bulb from connector and check the plug at bulb for power/ground. If that is what you already did then I'd consider swapping bulbs around in front to make sure the one that doesn't work actually works in other side. If so but power/ground are good then I suspect a connector problem. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I only see two wires on each side going into the ballast. the ballast then has a silver cable that has about a 6 inch tail and it plugs directly into the back of the bulb with a square connector. I don't see any other wires that plug directly into bulb to high beam. There is only one connector that goes into bulb. I already swapped bulbs and the same working side worked with both bulba and the non working side didn't work with either bulbs

You are saying the hi beam bulb has a ballast too?

Can you take some pictures for me? Thanks.

Is this the bulb/connector you are testing? #1 or #2? #1 is hi beam and 2 is low beam.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jktszsqmfsl77nz/s-l1600.jpg?dl=0

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Gray two wire connector goes into ballast.

#2 is the low beam so now we need to figure out low beam or hi beam is actually the problem. IF hi beam is the problem one bulb will stop working when hi beam indicator is lit on dash. Please let me know, thanks.

If it is actually the low beam that isn't working then this would mean your ballast needs to be replaced. If it is the hi beam that doesn't work then you are trying to replace the wrong bulb.

Here is front view of hi beam and low beams. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help or if you run into questions. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks again and please do not forget to rate answer.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1agagxl927eg3o/lbhb.jpg?dl=0

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Are you sure. When I click on the high beam that's working, the projector light gets brighter, not the little chrome colored light.

Ya I'm sure, if anything they might both come on at the same time during high beam.

And if the little chrome light isn't turning on during high beam that would mean the little chrome bulb is burned out.

Feel free to send me a picture of your headlights with both low beams on and hi beams on, make sure to have both left and right headlights in picture.

Send me two pictures of front end of vehicle. One with hi beams on and one with low beams on...Make sure to get whole front of vehicle so I can see both headlights and compare them.

The high beam bulb connector should have a black wire and a green or white wire going to it.

That connector with the metal connector you shown me in the picture is for the HID bulb which is for low beams.

The black wire and the blue wire in connector you sent me a picture for is for low beams. So as of now we don't even know what headlight isn't working, if it is the hi beam or the low beam.

I see in picture you sent me there is a picture of hi beam connector and low beam, I drew diagram to each.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyjhvlvofljt2cr/15221999086235892256111915093022.jpg?dl=0

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Both low beams work. Driver side high beams don't work. When I click on high beams, the passenger side, which does work, the projector bulb gets brighter. There is another small light under the directional light, but it doesn't appear to do anything on the side that works.

Follow the connector with the green and black wires which will lead you to the high beam bulb.

I​ must admit that looks like a pretty small bulb to be high beam but the connector looks burned. Check to see if that same bulb on other side works with high beams on but not drivers side with high beam on if so this confirms problem is bulb or connector.

That isn't it, after looking at diagram the parking light has a light green and black wire. The headlight has a green/dark green wire with a black wire. So look for another connector with a dark green wire and a black wire, they should be larger wires then that.

Were you ever able to locate a larger green/black wires? Are we looking at working or non working side in pictures?

It is possible my diagrams are incorrect as this seems to be a unique vehicle. Were you ever able to find the connector with a larger green and larger black wire? That picture you just sent me is that with high beams on or low beams on?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
High beams but only passenger side is brighter

T​hat is what I thought. Were you ever able to locate a connector with a larger green and larger black wire ?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Its connected underneath to a black wire and red wire

According to wire diagram there are 3 bulbs with green and black wires going to it. Two small bulbs which are for parking lights and marker lights and have light green wires. Then a high beam bulb which has a black wire and dark green wire which are larger wires. Did you remove the whole headlight assembly? If so, did you see 3 connectors with green wires? We are getting to end of road here as far as what I'm able to do, if you aren't able to locate the connector with a larger dark green wire and black wire I'm not sure what else to suggest but I can always open question back up for someone else to help if we run into a dead end.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
There are only 3 bulbs inside the headlight assembly. Two small and large xenon bulb. None have a large green wire. There's no possible way to have high beam bulb not going into headlight assembly. Feel like you've wasted lots of my time.

I may have stumbled into high beam in picture, I circled it. I agree as of now both of our time has been wasted, I've never had issues locating a high beam bulb. If this isn't it I'll open question back up. Let me know, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/87w1anorm0877ea/lb.PNG?dl=0

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
That's the fog light connector

That is what I was thinking, I'll open question up to see if someone else can tell you for sure. Sorry that I wasn't able to help you get it figured out.

Infiniti Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 24 days ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Let me know if this helps at all. in the meantime I will continue researching

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic