Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 m45 with 220xxx miles no leaks ran excellent…

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 m45 with 220xxx miles no leaks ran excellent before my idler pulley and tensioner went bad . Replaced both and noticed I have a weak battery and alternator

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?

Sorry that's just the first part my diagnostic . After the parts were changed battery and tensioner pulleys (never replaced the alternator) I attempted to start my car and out of nowhere it has a loud knocking noise sounds like it's at the center of the engine. Pulled the valve covers looking for damage of course with these engines you have to dig deeper. SO before I go any further I've drained the oil looking for metal shavings of any kind I saw none . Refilled the oil to run it again in gear and noticed the knock goes almost away in any gear besides park . Anyway ideas where to start I've heard a possible rod knock

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your M45 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am and nothing so far besides what I just stated.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats all thanks alot

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Infiniti
3/24/2018
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 4 months ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I do know these M45's if you let the sit, they can make noise when you first start them and it is like a knocking noise. So before we talk more about that. All you did was the Drive belt idler pulley and tensioner?

sir
What do you think it could be coming from?