Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I brought my 2014 q50 premium into the dealership to have a…

Customer Question
I brought my 2014...

I brought my 2014 q50 premium into the dealership to have a bcm changed out with a used one I bought from LKQ. they said it fixed my problems but they could not program my keys to work so they replaced the purchased bcm with the old one so the keys could work and gave the car back to me. Plus they charged me for nothing fixed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

It is a push button start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Q50 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I brought it to the dealer to have it programed

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Infiniti
3/23/2018
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 3 months ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The Key programming info is controlled by the BCM and Ecm. If they were able to program the fobs back to the Original BCM, but could not program them to the BCM you supplied. Then that is not the dealers fault. That is a vendor problem with the part that they supplied you.

What is the problem exactly with the car?

I also heard that the key fob could be the problem. Is it possible that the key fob is only programmable one time and that is why I am having an issue with the BCM not accepting the key fobs to be reprogrammed to another BCM? Maybe I can use the replacement BCM (since it fixed my problems the dealer said before they put original back in) and get a "NEW" key fob programmed?The BCM problem was causing intermittent wipers not to work correctly, trunk open warning is displayed on dashboard(after replacing with new trunk lock), high beam is stuck in on position, horn won't work from steering wheel but will from locking doors with key fob, and possible a can bus error causing hard shift in 1 or 2 gears due to no communication.
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 2 months ago

the fobs are not a one time use. But when programming you need to decode a 20 digit pin which is a rolling code.

Who is trying to program the keys?

Dealer?

the dealer. they did this when they were exchanging the bcm I brought them. They said my replacement bcm worked and fixed and the errors, however, they couldn't get the keys to reprogram. Therefore, putting the old one back in and reprogramming the keys to that one again. I just think they are doing something wrong. Or have a mechanic that doesn't know how to fix things. I also brought it to them another time to fix my radio and they charged me for that and didn't repair anything. I put in a relay and things started working again. Can he give me my money back i asked, of course not!

That makes no sense. Did they trying to program the keys to the original bcm?

When I brought them the q50 I told them it had some issues (the ones I told you) and they said it was the BCM. So i brought them my car a 2nd time with the BCM I bought from LKQ, same year car, same production date on bcm label, and model code and lettering as original BCM. Apples to Apples. They installed it, reprogrammed the BCM, then said they tried to reprogram the key fobs and it didnt' work. I never was able to see the BCM that I brought them actually installed in the car, nor did I see the warnings/issues disappear. I only was told that since it was not able to work with the key reprogramming that they had to reinstall original bcm and reprogram the keys to it as well.

This is hard to determine with out doing the checks my self. How handy are you? Maybe we can access your current bcm and just check the part number on it and see if it's the same?

Like I said, it is exactly the same. I think he did not do the rolling code procedure properly, or at all. Is there a PDF I can DL from the web from the service manual? I also have alldatadiy for that car as well.

The rolling code steps, once the computer gives you the 20 digit pin, you have one try to program the remotes. If you have to redo the 20 pin code by any means, the numbers will be different. That is why they call it a rolling code.

Nisan Dealers can do this also...