Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Drivers side headlight not working. Took it to a mechanic…

Drivers side headlight not...

Drivers side headlight not working. Took it to a mechanic who said it was the bulb. Bought the bulb and took it back and then he said it wasn't the bulb but the ballast. My dad suggests I check the fuse before purchasing the ballast. I can't figure out which fuse I need to be looking for.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Checked bulbs

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?

Can't find fuse

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Infiniti?

2008 fx35

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your FX35 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a mechanic who first said it was the bulb

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Then he said it was the ballast

3/22/2018
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

You have 4 head light fuses. Right Low Beam, Left Low Beam, Right High Beam and Left High beam. These fuses are located in the IPDM. The IPDM is located behind the battery. So you will need to remove the trim around the battery and remove the Passenger wiper cowl to access it.

Here is a image of where it's located on a G35, but it's in the same spot on your FX.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76dcmlzin4l75kh/IPDM%20G35.jpg?dl=0

If you can access the Ballast, you can check to see if it's getting power or not. If it's getting power, then you know it's the Ballast. If it's not, then you know it's a fuse.

How do I check if there's power to the ballast?

There should be one connector to the ballast which is power and ground.. Hang on..

It should be a GRAY wire at the ballast connector.

Ok I'm attempting to get to the IPDM now

Ok..

Fuse does look good, but I always check with a test light

So if the fuse is good and it's getting power when the lights are on, I would check voltage at the Ballast. If you have voltage, then you have a bad Ballast.

Ok. Then I will have to continue working on it tomorrow so I can get my hands on a voltage tester.

You got it..

That will work..

I am working Saturday. So my responses may be delayed.

Ok. Thanks for the heads up :)

You got it..

Hi Jay...so I was able to get my dad to come out and help and he checked for power to the ballast and there is. He then suggested we switch the right side ballast to the left but we noticed the part numbers are different. Are they 2 different ballast used? Left and right??

If the ballast is getting power, that is most likely your issue.

The part numbers are different. The power for the connector if I recall is just a little different. But you can try to swap them just to test to see if the light comes on.

We did swap the ballast itself and no go

Do you have the front bumper off?

Yep

Take the whole head light and swap it and try it on the drivers side and see if it works.

Just plug it in.. It doesn't have to be mounted..

Didn't work... only makes a clicking sound

Really.. That is with the whole passenger light?

What if you plugged the Drivers side in the Passenger side? Does the head light come on if you plug it in the passenger side?

Yep...we swapped the entire headlight from the right to the left with working ballast and all. Then when that didn't work we swapped it back to it's original side and it worked so then we swapped only the ballast with the "bad" one and the light worked

So you took the drivers side ballast and tried it on the passenger light, and the passenger light worked?

If that is the case, the wire from the ballast to the bulb is your issue!

then I told my dad maybe it was the igniter since it's attached to the ballast. We swapped the igniter from the right to the left and BINGO! That's what it is. But now we have an issue with the quarter lights (not sure if that's what they're called) not turning on on either side when they did before we started taking things appart...ugg
I'm more fluent in Spanish so I'm trying to translate what those little orange lights are called

Cool.. Glad you figured it out..

Which lights are not working now?

May want to check fuses in the IPDM.. If you turn the head lights on.. See if the rear tail lights work. If not, then it's got to be a fuse..

Rear lights do turn on

Really? I would double check fuses.. I can't see what you could have done other than blowing a fuse or a bulb.

I would say the tail lamp one.. But they are all working? I would just check them all with a test light

The small bulbs look blown..

The one your father is holding is not plugged in...and I can't make out if the black connector is plugged in. for those lights..

He checked the socket of each with the test light and there's no power going to the sockets... he said there's only ground

Did you make sure the Big Black Connector was plugged in? You have the small ballast connector, then the big black connector

The big black one is connected and headlight turns on but the small 3 other ones don't

Both sides?

it looks we figured it out...1 white bulb and 1 orange blew out and the 2 tiny ones. We forgot for a sec that the orange were signal lights and we weren't testing that way hehe

Yeah. It looks like the small bulbs were blown..

They are called a 194 bulb.. I thing the other is a 3156 or something.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
You were a huge help. I'm glad I decided to investigate on my own vs. handing the mechanic $275 for a new ballast and labor since according to them it was the ballast. Thanks again!!

You are very welcome. Thanks for using JustaAnswer.com