Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When I hop in my car and press the Start button, my steering…

When I hop in...

When I hop in my car and press the Start button, my steering wheel will start to come down, as if the car is going to start, but then it stops and everything shuts down... as if the car is dead. The brake stays depressed from when I attempted to start it an all power is gone... lights, windows/doors, trunk. I have had my battery tested and it was good. Any ideas? This happened some time in the past, maybe 2 years about and has just occurred twice in the last week.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent, as in does it happen frequently? I stopped for gas two weeks ago, approx. and it happened after I filled the tank. Then when I was leaving work last week and again now.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?

I have had the battery die after filling my tank before, but have always been able to start it back up. It has died randomly when I was driving at a slow speed too (last night as I was pulling into a parking spot). 2008 G35X

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G35x yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I am not. I did have my mechanic look at it. The first time it happened 2 years ago, it was towed to him and he was able to jump it just fine. My key fob battery was continuously dying, so he replaced it thinking maybe the car and fob battery were dying from searching for one another all the time. The most recent time it happened, I took it in and he replaced the fuel valve, from what I recall. Thinking maybe it was a vapor lock issue, or something to that extent.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I think that is about the extent of it.

3/20/2018
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Try this.. Turn the head lights on and open the hood. Then try to start the car. When the power cuts out, loosen the negative battery cable and twist it right to left and then tighten it down in a slightly different position. If the lights come on as you do this, that could indicate a battery connection issue. If the lights do not come on, then try the same thing with the positive.

Give that a try and let me know what happens. Normally this is a battery connection issue that causes this.

That is for the starting issue. I just saw you have listed more than one question on your vehicle. I see you mentioned a stalling issue, key fob dying some sort of fuel valve,

So I am limited to one topic per question. I can certainly see if we can touch upon some of your other issues as well. Be lets take one thing at a time..

Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yay! I played with the negative cable and it started right up. WOW... I thought it was going to be something MAJOR! I didn't have any tools with me, so it was just a temporary fix until I can get it secured. Might this connection issue cause my car to die on the freeway? I haven't had it happen, but want to be sure.
Regarding the key fob issue, that was resolved previously, but I brought it up because I was advised that may have caused the battery to die. The stalling after pumping gas was due to some vapor lock issue - I cannot recall what the guy said it was, but I haven't had that issue since he replaced the appropriate part. I'll keep my eye on the stalling issue and get back to you with a new questions/topic if it keeps happening.THANK YOU SO MUCH - YOU MADE MY DAY!!!!

Glad you got the car going and it was a simple issue. This will not cause the car to stall. So if you have a stalling issue, we can certainly talk about that if you like.

The key fob issue, these remotes don't last like older remotes cause they do so much more. Push button start, approach locking and unlocking, and so on. So that is really just the way they are. But the Remote won't cause the battery of the car to go dead unless it's a defective remote constantly sending out a unlock signal keeping the BCM away. But that is getting way to technical.

The only other thing, the battery it's self for the car. They have a average life span of 3 to 4 years. That is around how long they last. This way if it goes 4 to 5 years and the battery goes, you know it's around that time.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com..

Let me know if you still would like to talk about the stalling issue.

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician