Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2013 Infiniti JX35. We have had intermittent issues…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2013 Infiniti JX35. We have had intermittent issues with the car not starting. About 4 months ago, I would get some interior lights and clicking and then ultimately after a few minutes of waiting, it would start. But then after a few events like that in the period of a week, it was dead and we replaced the battery. So now fast forward 4 months, yesterday after driving it and running errands, I leave the grocery store (in there maybe an hour) and the car won't start but I did get a light flash and clicking. Waited 5 minutes and pressed the ignition button (foot NOT on the brake) and all the lights turned on and I was able to start the car. I drive home, car sits for 4 hours, I leave again and drive to someone's house, an hour later it is dead. Changed the key fob battery, still dead.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

I have scanned parts but have not run into anything specifically that seems to address the issue. Are you aware that it is covered in the manual?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your JX35 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am hoping to get it started to take to a deal for diagnostic testing. Concerned there is an electrical issue / drain on the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so...

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Infiniti
3/19/2018
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 3 months ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Are you getting a Rapid clicking when you try to start it?

In the past (4 months) ago - yes. Yesterday the first time I had trouble getting it to start, I heard clicking but not a lot and not rapid like the last time. And then the second time I went to start it - nothing - no lights, no clicking, nothing.
Are you still there?

Yes.. I have seen battery connections cause this or weak batteries..

Are any of the battery terminal ends after market?

Not that I am aware of. So you are saying that maybe the battery we just purchased 4 months ago was bad?

It's possible, or something could be draining the battery or you have a bad connection at the battery. How handy are you?

I am not handy myself - I am the primary driver. My husband is handy. He is tied up all day today and can't look at the car until tomorrow. I was hoping to troubleshoot and obtain some info on what he should look for / do to try to get it started - besides going and buying another battery (which might not be the issue).

Well this is what I would do. I use a 10 mm wrench and loosen the battery terminals and twist them right to left then tighten them down in a slightly different position. Sometimes simply re-adjusting the connections resolves the issue.

But the Rapid clicking is a sign of a weak battery or bad battery connection

We purchased this vehicle used in 2016. I have been researching and see that if you turn off the car by hitting the ignition switch and hit it 2 times, the ignition will actually stay on and drain the battery. There have been times when I turn off the car and the steering wheel moves into another position, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the car says "Goodbye" and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the car is off and I hear dinging still after I close the door. Not sure how much is user error or if there is an issue with the car turning off properly and the batter draining. Thoughts?

If the ignition says on, are you double tapping the start button when you turn it off?

I think I'm only hitting the button once. But if the car doesn't seem to be completely off - accessories on but engine off, I hit it again.

The only way that could happen is if the shifter doesn't see it's in park. Then it will turn off and say in accessory.

Stupid question... does the car actually show on the display the mode it is in - Accessory, On or Off? I don't recall seeing that....

When you shut it down, the Radio stays on but the dash may dim down and go off. It does not have any warning light on if that what you mean.