Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The sequence starts ...it seems to initiate but suddenly…

The sequence starts ...it...

The sequence starts ...it seems to initiate but suddenly stops....i have to keep turning the car off and then back on for the sequence to completely go thru....seems to be getting worse

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Just replaced battery several months ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?

2010 g37 convert sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G37 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Are there any preventive measures i should be checking first?

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2018
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I am not sure I understand your question. Can you please explain with detail so I can try to help you with your issue?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When i try to open top the sequence starts but then suddenly stops. Theres no obstructions in trunk. This used to happen before but after shuting engine off and restarting car the sequence for opening top would complete. Now it won't open at sll

There is a number of things that can cause this. When it comes to these roofs, there is only one thing we can do to get it closed. That is a hard reset. This is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 mins. Then connecting it. Lets give that a try and see if that allows you to close the roof and let me know..

Also make sure the engine is running when you operate the roof.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the roof is not stuck in open position...i have not been able to open the roof. when i attempt to open it, the mechanical sequence starts but stops. i am able to reverse the sequence to the closed "roof" ending on the display. do you know what is causing this?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
everything appears to be fine but ,,,is there any maintenance steps ... such as fluid levels, checking cables etc I can do to be sure?

This top is all computer controls and operates by hydraulics. With this type of system you don't check fluid since it's under high pressure. So there is really no maintenance to these tops.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay ...so what would cause the operation to just stop....when button pushed, windows go down, and back window platform goes down, the trunk hood starts to tilt out (almost as if doesn't have enough power to lift it) but comes back to original position and the operation totally stops. I can reverse the operation but I can't get past that point...do you have an answer for what could be the problem....it sounds mechanical (???)

You are operating the top when the car is running right? Low battery voltage is the number one cause for the top to loose it's position. There is a convertible top relearn which is done with a scanner also. But there is a sensor on the drivers side of the roof for the top, but that won't affect the trunk from folding back. But the flap doors if something is wrong with them, that can stop the top operation.

The top has so many operations that if one does not respond properly when the control unit commands it, it will throw a code in the Convertible top control unit and stop the top from it's operation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay...yes car is always running when top operation button pushed...so we're getting somewhere....this same problem was happening before but if i shut engine off and restart the car the operation would continue after a few tries...now its not working at all....a bit scared to open roof fearing i might not be able to close it...is this problem common as vehicle gets older?

These tops are very reliable. The only time I see issues is normally due to battery voltage. How ever, I have replaced the Sensor on the roof which tells the computer the roof position. But normally when there is a issue with these tops, we use a scanner and it tells us, so we can correct the issue.

When the battery is changed, normally the tops requires a Convertible Top relearn. This is done with the scanner to the computer can calibrate the top operation. So I understand you had a Battery replaced 7 months ago, but if this was not done, this could be one of the reasons it keeps loosing it's position also.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i would agree with you however this problem was happening prior to battery replacement....not saying that you're wrong but if the problem is not mechanical and possibly voltage related ...here's the question...if voltage is supposed to remain constant thru the operation... is it possible that voltage levels drop during a more stressful phase (trunk tilt) causing the computer to stop sequence? the only reason for this question is because after the trunk tilts everything seems to operate without problems

The Trunk when it tilts back is a load on the electrical system. If you are operating the top when the car is running, I can't see it being a problem.

When the top folds back, does the flaps not open when it acts up? or does it open the flaps then stop?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
going to check that now ....it a bit dark outside ...give me a few

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the flaps are not moving

So the trunk folds back and it stops before the flaps pop up? Does the front of the roof unlatch?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no....it starts to move about 2inches ...then its stops and comes back down. I thought the flaps move after the trunk tilts out?

Yeah.. The trunk folds back, the flaps pop up and the front of the roof unlatches. If the Flaps are not popping out, you could have one flap that is actually bad causing the system to stop. But this would need to be monitored during operation to capture the fault with a scanner or see if there is a code pointing to which flap maybe causing the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay ...lets back up....the trunk is "not" folding back first...it starts to but quits
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
to be clear.... this does not sound like flap problem as trunk is not tilting back first....

Then that could be a Hydraulic issue or simply the top needs a Relearn procedure done.

Did you try doing the hard reset to see if the top works? The hard reset could clear any codes in the top system.

The hard reset is disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 mins. Would like to see if it stops in the same place after you do the reset. Cause if it does, then it could very well be a Hydraulic issue causing your problem

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i will try that.... but I think its an hydraulic issue.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
worse case scenario....how much to check and repair?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
estimate...

The trunk folding back is all a Hydraulic operation.

Dealer does charge 1 hour diag to start. So it's what ever their hourly rate is. Ours is 135 a hour

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
two questions ....is this a known problem? and how complicated is repair in hours?

Not common where you are saying it keeps stopping. Unable to answer the repair time since it's not a common issue and will require a scanner to check it's operation

Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay...i have to check my options but thanks you've been helpful

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician