Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 Infiniti m56 has poor xm radio reception. Always has…

2011 Infiniti m56 has poor...
2011 Infiniti m56 has poor xm radio reception. Always has had problem. Am/fm reception is fine.
3/15/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

With what you have described here this sounds like the common fault of the satellite radio antennae itself.This antennae alone sends the satellite radio signal to the audio control head in the dash for the proper signal.The antennae can fail or the connections become corroded at the antennae with the antennae needing to be replaced to resolve this fault here.If all am and fm are o.k. as well as all other audio functions the antennae circuit needs to be tested and the antennae cable checked for any issues.If this is o.k. then the antennae needs replaced.It should be mounted to the roof or trunk lid and is shown as #2 below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/avalkj8d6yulz22/ant-03-15.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Would replacing exterior antenna portion be likely to help? Whole interior of car needs removed to put in new antenna. Are any aftermarket antennas known to be better? I have driven newer Infiniti vehicles where XM reception is good
Can the rooftop portion of antenna be replaced separately? Is this likely to solve problem of weak XM radio reception?

It is usually the roof top antennae portion itself that fails and not the cable that leads from it to the receiver.Usually, only the roof top part needs to be replaced.

Dealer seems like they are not anxious to do work. I'm thinking upholstery or radio repair shop. Any suggestions?

A radio repair facility would be best or any vehicle repair facility that is willing to remove and replace it.

Phone call session started