Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 Infiniti M56 with 80k miles intermittently does not…

2011 Infiniti M56 with...

2011 Infiniti M56 with 80k miles intermittently does not start. I bought it new. Dealer says no codes show up after problem. Engine turns over strong. Plenty of gas. Does not even try to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

No codes or check engine light. It started with having to try starting several times and eventually it also took waiting for some time and re-trying. Most times it starts just fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your M56 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Infiniti Dealer where I bought it has had it several times and says they cannot duplicate problem so they cannot fix it. They have had it now for 3 weeks or so.

3/15/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

One common component that can act up and causes this issue here is the crankshaft position sensor.This sensor is seated at the bottom of the engine on the passenger side.It intermittently acts up to where it causes a loss of spark or fuel pulses causing this issue.Usually, the vehicle has to sit a period of time before it will restart again when this sensor acts up.It can be very intermittent making it difficult to diagnose.When the engine does act up the dealer needs to observe the engine rpm signal on a scan tools data list to see if an rpm signal is present when cranking over the engine.If no rpm signal is present the crank sensor needs to be replaced.

I have run into this issue several times before and the crank sensor is the most common for the exact fault you have described here.The cost for this sensor runs between $75 and $130 depending if you buy it from a local parts store or a dealer and less then a half hours labor to have it replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Dealer says crankshaft position sensor problem would send error code and none were found. They now want to replace low pressure fuel pump for about $1,000 and coolant lines for $5-700. Wow! Any thoughts?

Not necessarily.I have seen several crank sensors act up and not set off any fault codes.That was the most common reason it was missed as being the possible cause as in allot of cases it wont set any codes at all.

Usually if it was the pump you would have lean fault codes or fuel pressure codes set.But if they have tested the fuel pressure and found it to be low then it is very possible the fuel pump is the cause as in some cases it may not set codes as well.

I am not sure why they want to replace the coolant lines.They only need replaced if they are saturated with oil or cracked or leaking.