Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I changed the battery on my Infiniti g35 year 2004 and when…

I changed the battery...

I changed the battery on my Infiniti g35 year 2004 and when I went to crank it back up the VDc/slip light and now the car won’t accelerate over 2k rpm basically won’t allow me to drive it . Took it to a shop and multiple codes were sent to the scanner he advised me it could be my tps or my ecu which could both be expensive. And referred me to another shop for ecu problems because they had better equipment: is there something really wrong with my car?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Yes it has never done this

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G35 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I don’t touch my car anymore beside minor work. The car had been sitting for 6 months due to my alarm locking my car up while I was gone on deployment got the alarm removed and the car ran smooth just a CEL light but operated. I went to clean the positive harness because it was loose and after that I got the issues I listed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No ma am

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did the shop provide you with the codes you are getting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I didn get all the codes because he said it was so many there were atleast 7. But he mentioned my tps and ecu and said he didn have the proper equipment to fix those kind of issues and referred me to a shop that can reprogram or purchase new ecu if needed

Any chance you can get me the codes? That could help me determine direction on what may need to be done. With out the codes I really would have no clue either.

I can keep this question open so you can return with the codes.

All you would need to do to return back to this question is to log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return back once you get the codes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will attempt to get the codes tomorrow once the car is transported to the new shop

Ok.. Once I have the code numbers.. I am sure I can determine your issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok sounds good. Just out of curiosity a job like this could cost a few thousand ?

It really depends on the codes. Lets say you do need a Ecm. A Ecm is around 800 dollars. It comes blank and needs to be programmed. Then you have to program all your keys and a Idle Relearn would need to also be done.

So labor wise, if you did need a Ecm, you would be looking at around 2 to 300 in labor. So around 1100 or so, then of course Tax

But if it's a wiring issue, that could also cause multiple codes.

Do you recall a U1000 or U1001 code?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
NO they were P codes for sure

P0605?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe I see that one . I can’t remember for sure I believe a few were tps related

That is a Ecm code. So if you have that code, you have to disregard all other codes and resolve that one first. Cause if you do have a driver failure in the Ecm, it can certainly cause other codes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But if they are wiring issues what could I be looking at ? I just don’t want to get robbed I’m trying avoid taking it to the dealership honestly

Based on the codes, there are diagnostic steps to determine if there is a wiring issue or actually internal failure in the Ecm. That is why the codes are so important when it comes to issues like this. That gives us a sense of direction to diagnose the condition.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I really appreciate the help. Haven’t been able to drive this car is basically 9 month. I will try and get the codes and contact you back

You got it...

Normally when I see a Bunch of codes, what I normally do is go through each diagnostic step and see if there is one common component or wire and start with that and see if there is any relation among all the codes and systems..

Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good . I’ll def be back in contact

You got it..

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician