Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Power turned offwhile driving on highway. 06 m35. It

Customer Question
Power turned offwhile driving...

Power turned offwhile driving on highway

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?

06 m35

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your M35 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It completely shut off and wont start back up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No corrossion

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The vdc, ras and slip lights were on when the power turned off.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Infiniti
3/11/2018
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 5 months ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What do you mean power turned off? Do you mean it just stalled out on you? Like the ignition was turned off?

I was driving on the highway cruise Control about 80 and the car start slowing down, hitting the gas did nothing. Then the VDC off, and, slip and ras lights came on and then it completely shut off and will not start it clicks.

When you say it clicks, are you getting rapid clicking? or a Single Click?

Rapid

That is normally a sign of a weak battery. Maybe the Alternator is not charging. Do you have a Battery charger or someone who can possibly jump start you to see if the car will start?

I don't have a charger, but I'm trying to see if I can flag someone down cause I thought of that too, to rule it out.

If the Car starts with a Jump Start, and stalls when you take the cables off, or shortly after, that is a Alternator issue.

NOW!!! LISTEN!!!

These older M's are very sensitive on how they are jump started. So let me explain so you don't damage any computers...

OK

When you jump start any car!!! You always connect the Positive Cable First!! Then the Negative Second!!

If you connect Negative first, and Positive Second you can cause a Voltage Surge which damages Control units..

So I will say it again..Always connect the Positive Cable First!! Then the Negative Second!!

Do you have any more questions on this?