Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 FX35 liftgate wont open. closes fine and I hear the…

2007 FX35 liftgate wont...

2007 FX35 liftgate wont open. closes fine and I hear the motor engage. depress the release to open and I can hear the motor engage for a moment but will not release.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

206000 mi. Automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your FX35 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I opened manually using the interior manual release. Then closed it and tried to re-open. same result.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Earlier I had to drill out the licence plate screws as they were frozen. One of the collars came out and I didn't notice that it aparantly dropped by the locking mechanism. When I closed the door, it didn't close all the way. I fished the collar out with a magnet and released the door with the manual release. I closed the door and tried to reopen when the problem started.

3/11/2018
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This is most commonly the Rear Hatch Latch assembly and control unit that causes this. How handy are you?

Fairly handy..

Disconnect the Negative Battery Cable for 15 mins. Then connect it and see if the Hatch operates. It may only work once or a few times.. But let me know if it works after you do the hard reset...

Will do.. FYI, I can hear the motor start to engage to release the door but seems to stop short of completeing the process.
Are there sensors or anything in there that could have gotten moved or something when the collar dropped in there?

It could be a weak hatch latch motor. Motors tend to work easier one direction and not the other when they fail. but lets just see what the reset does..

Hard reset didn't solve the problem. Depressing the hatch release button, I can hear the motor start but rather than releasing, it stops. Then after a few seconds pause, i hear it again as if i had just closed it.

Then that sounds like the issue is the Actual rear Hatch Latch assembly. The motor is two weak to complete the cycle to open, but it can complete the close cycle.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Everything worked just fine until that collar got stuck. Could be something simple?

You can check the rubber weather strip that goes around the hatch opening. Other wise it's a issue with in the latch assembly I am afraid.

Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
OK, thanks!

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com