Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2002 q45 key won’t turn at all and the steering wheel is…

My 2002 q45 key won’t...
My 2002 q45 key won’t turn at all and the steering wheel is locked. The metal key wouldn’t turn as well until recently. When I put the metal key in, I can turn it. When I remove it, I hear a clicking sound for a few seconds. I also noticed that one of my headlights flickered on/off for a minute after the car was off. Any suggestions?
Answered in 4 days by:
3/15/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

This can be due to a fault with the ignition cylinder itself.If the ignition cylinder has an internal mechanical fault it will cause this fault here needing either removed and re keyed or removed and replaced.You will need to have this checked into further to see if this is the cause for this fault here.

The head light issue can be due to a failing headlight relay needing replaced.You will need to have this checked/tested to see if the relay is acting up.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Thank you Pete. Is there some way I can check myself to know if it the ignition cylinder? Also could it be the key?
FYI ... for the past few years I have had times where the key would not start the car (although, I could turn it). If that occured and I waited some time, tried again, usually worked.
I am appreciative of any thoughts you may have on the issue. I am eager to get the car fixed.
Best,
Vera

You can try and spray a small amount of lubricant into the cylinder ( if your model has the metal cylinder that a metal key blade fits into ) and then work the key back and forth in the cylinder to see if it then turns.If it does then this is an indication of a worn key or cylinder at fault.If you only have one key I recommend first having a new key made or ordered in to try it to see if this resolves the fault.If it does then it was just the key at fault.If it does not then I suspect the cylinder at fault and possibly the ignition switch itself which is why it may have had some starting issues in the past.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician