Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The power antenna on my 2000 QX4 isn’t working. It just

The power antenna on...

The power antenna on my 2000 QX4 isn’t working. It just stopped coming up all of a sudden

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your QX4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Pulled the head unit out and made sure the antenna was securely plugged in.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I’m just wondering if there is a fuse somewhere

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

Yes, however it does not indicate where the fuse for the power antenna is.

3/9/2018
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you hear it make any noise when you turn the Radio On & Off?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I listened for the antenna motor and did not hear it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any thoughts

Well there is 2 fuses for the power antenna. One would affect the Radio also. One is just for the antenna.

Here is a image for the fuse locations.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wyi8dsrslqbqp0j/1%20Fuse%20QX4.jpg?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/wyi8dsrslqbqp0j/1%20Fuse%20QX4.jpg?dl=0

If the fuses are good, the next step is to check power and ground at the radio antenna motor. If you have all power sources and ground, then the power antenna motor internally failed.

Can you read a wiring diagram?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Give me just a second I’m going to check those two fuses.

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fuses are good

Then it is most likely a Antenna motor that has failed. To verify this, you would need to remove the passenger front tire and inner fender liner to access the antenna motor to check power sources and ground. You also replace it by removing all those parts also.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With the motor just all the sudden go bad? I ask because it was working just fine and then the next time we were in the car it didn’t work.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that was the supposed to say Would the motor just all of a sudden go bad

Yes, the motor is electronic. So anything electronic can work one min, then fail the next.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. One last thing, I didn’t notice the antenna did not go all the way down when we purchased the vehicle, which was a week ago. Now it is all the way down. Does this tell you anything?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, that was supposed to say I did notice the antenna did not go all the way down

If the antenna did not go all the way down, the antenna mast is most commonly bent that causes that. That could put a strain on the antenna motor. If you don't hear any operating from the antenna motor, the only one thing you can try is to remove the Antenna nut and try turning the radio on and off and on and see if you can pull up the antenna mast. But keep in mind, if it does come up, it is going to come all the way out. So you would need to feed the mast cable in by turning the radio off.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the chrome piece unscrew? I take it that’s the nut you’re referring to?

Yes, that is the antenna nut. There is a special tool used to remove that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My wife says I’m a special tool so maybe I can do it.

That is possible...lol. But I don't know you enough to agree

I have a small pair of needle nose I used one or two times when I was doing these on the side at home. You just need to turn it counter clock wise to loosen it.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, Explain how to get the antenna back down please. You were right the whole metal part came off. But there is a white cord that I can’t push back down in

That white cord. you push that all the way in till it stops. Then turn the Radio off, and push in to feed it. If it doesn't pull it in, turn the cord until it grabs it to pull it down.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Turn the cord until it grabs it?

Yeah.. The antenna mast came out you said? There should be a long cord attached to it that is white with gear like teeth on it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is correct the white cord has teeth in it. When I try to push the white cord back down it will not move. Basically the antenna would be fully extended if I were to put everything back together.

You need to have the Radio on, start to feed the cable in to the antenna mast area, then have someone turn the radio off. If the antenna motor works, you will either feel it bouncing on the cord, or it will draw it in. If you feel it bouncing on the cord, you need to turn it so the teeth are the opposite direction. It should be forward or back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, got it. We must have a bad motor. Nothing made anything balance nor could I hear anything. Once I reattached the antenna I was able to push the antenna down by hand.

If you can push it in by hand.. Yeah.. that is a bad motor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think AutoZone would carry a motor? Or, is this something we would have to order through infinity?

You would need to call and ask. The part is discontinued from the dealer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you Jay.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician