Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I didn't change the oil on time and now I need a new engine?

Customer Question
I didn't change the...

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

May 2017

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '17 Infiniti?

It is a 2009 infiniti g37

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G37 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to find out what I can try before replacing the engine

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Infiniti
3/8/2018
Infiniti Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

At this point do you know the extent of the damage?

Does the engine still run?

The car won’t start

Does it crank or do nothing at all?

Is the oil level low?

It will crank but not catch
I took it to he Infiniti dealer who said I needed a new engine

Did they perform a compression test or anything?

Typically an engine won't start because it doesn't have one of the three necessary things it needs to run: Compression, fuel, and spark.

The only one of those three affected by oil level or oil condition is compression.

They said I have so much sludge it has clogged the valves
They ran a full diagnostics and I will get the report today

If the only issue is sludge it's likely that it can be cleaned out and make the engine run again.

The valves they are likely talking about are the cam phaser control valves- they are the only valves that the oil reaches directly.

Please let me know if you need additional info.