Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Infiniti m37x hvac issue (no heat, sort of) driver side gets…

infiniti m37x hvac issue (no heat...
infiniti
m37x hvac issue (no heat, sort of)
driver side gets warm passenger is cold
driver bottom is barely warmish
coolant is full
in/out hoses are hot
2/15/2018
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The most common thing is a air pocket in the coolant system. Did you have any work done on the car recently before this happened?

hi bought it like that 3 months ago
revved it on a steep uiphill (im also a mechanic for trains)

So then let me advise how to bleed the coolant system to see if you can resolve your own issue. Cause it could be a simple fix. The only thing is that it takes about a 1 hour to bleed if not a little longer.

Give me a min to type out how to do it..

i heard there's a tsb for a similar problem, just not sure this is it
thank you!

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket ( See Links for images ). Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. I also turn the engine off a couple times and wait 2 or 3 mins to let the air pocket move and bubble out. In the mean time you want to check your vents to see if your getting heat. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uo6u3j1200tc7my/fill%20rad.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ys9zvfw74n52v5w/Fill%20Rad%202.jpg?dl=0

I can double check for TSB's.. Hang on again..

What year M37 was this?

2013
the thihn is is that theres decent heat on the driver's vents, cooler on the bottom, and cold on the passenger. the rear is warm.
i measured max 130-140F driver vent; 70 passenger vent; 110 rear vent for max temps. both sides set to 90; tried dual or non, recirc or not

Yikes.. Poor heat on the passenger side.. Oh man, forgot about this bulletin. Only seen this once..

ITB17-057 is the TSB number. It requires the T-stat to be changed and dash removed and heater core changed.

im not sure if this applies to me, but if so could i get infiniti to take care of it if its out of warranty?
i was thinking to flush the heater core instead (dealerships like to go hardcore and replace everything,lol)

I would try back flushing the heater core and maybe just replace the T-stat. Then bleed the system as I outlined..

Since the vehicle is out of Basic warranty, Infiniti may or may not assist with the repair. Since you just got the car, I would think they would not help you since you have no relationship with the dealer already. Know what you mean?

Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
would you have the complete service bulletin?i see.
which of the thermostats do i replace? i believe the waater inlet thermostat need to be modified (wherever that is)

Give me a few.. I am remote into my work computer.. let me see if I can download it..

perfect
this is great
would this infiniti handle prestone coolant? lol

No... Stay away from that.. The coolant we use at the dealer is very highly rated and goes to 100k miles..

okay good to know. in this case a whole cooling system flush be beneficial or not>?

I would try back flushing the heater core and hope I don't have to yank the dash to replace it...

agreed, just wanted to know if flushing would be beneficial to to remove whatever is getting stuck removed, or just heater core backflush

I would only back flush the heater core, then try bleeding the coolant system. I would not make any modifications to the T-stat unless I changed the heater core.

ooh i see. will stick to that. just wondering whats the deal with the thermost. maybe the new heater core has thicker capillaries and they want the coolant cisculation right away w/out restriction...

Yeah.. Don't know the exact differences.. But I would not do the full bulletin if I didn't have to. I would not modify the current system setup unless I was going to commit to doing the heater core..

also a questoin about replacing fluids...once again its 90k on my car
should i replace tranny fluid or leave it alone
also transfer fluid gearcase etc...

I would service the Transmission. Recommend a flush. Make sure it's Matic S.. I would do that at the dealer since they have the trans flush machine for that.

As for the Transfer case and rear.. I never have done them.. But the Trans I would, cause after 90k miles, you will never want to flush that transmission again.

34;you will never want to flush that transmission again."?

No, you don't want to flush a transmission with over 100k miles.. So you would only do a drain and fill moving forward..

gotcha.. ill do that onceill get the heat figured out. i asked my local inf before they said they only do drain/ fill 5 quarts
(out of like 13qs)so i declined

If you drain this transmission, you will only get 3 quarts out of it.. lol.. A flush actually would use around 16 quarts to make sure it gets all the old fluid out and puts all new fluid in

Jay thank you so much for your service. i really appreciate it

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com