Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Driver side low beam does not come on in my 2001 Infiniti…

Driver side low beam...

Driver side low beam does not come on in my 2001 Infiniti QX4. Driver high beam works and both high and low passenger side works. Previously I replaced the headlight switch (after market), which fixed the problem with the headlights going off during a turn when the signal was used. Then shortly after the driver side low beam started only staying on for about 30 seconds and eventually stopped working completely. I removed the headlight assembly on both sides and switched them and the problem is the same (driver side not work, even with passenger side assembly). Using a meter and comparing the readings on the 4 prong wire harness connector using the battery and the black wire as the ground, I have DC volts readings on 2 wires in each harness, but not on the same wires. On the driver side the larger red striped wire is dead, but hot on the passenger side. So I switched the two relays with the same result passenger side works, driver does not. I also switched fuses with no change in the problem. What do I do next?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Yes, switched passenger and driver side and got same results. Also switched ballast.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your QX4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I put it in my original message.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of.

1/17/2018
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you check the head light fuses? You have a Low Beam Left and Low Beam right fuse. Also a High Beam Left and High Beam right fuse. So you have 4 fuses total. They will need to be checked with a test light with the head lights on.

Let me know.

I feel stupid now. I only saw two 15A fuses. Just checked and found the 20A fuses and one is blown. Thanks

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

I switched the fuses and am running the lights for a few minutes just in case there is something causing the fuse to blow.

ok...

Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Seems to be working, thanks

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician