Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

For heating: Hot air on driver side with cold air on

For heating: Hot air...

For heating: Hot air on driver side with cold air on passenger side. Dual on or off, temperature control set the same. Dealer would like $1990 to replace heater core, but sounds like blending problem. Isn't there just one heater core? Can one

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?

Side of it go bad? Just had full service

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '90 Infiniti?

2012 M37x

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your M37x yourself? What have you tried so far?

No - My original post above: "Dealer would like $1990 to replace heater core, but sounds like blending problem. "

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm questioning the troubleshooting at the dealer

1/15/2018
3pac2222
3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician

hi my name is ***** ***** i will be helping you today

this is most likely cause by a stuck blend door motor on the side of the car that is cold i would check and replace the motor before i do any other repairs

Is it possible for this to be a heater core problem? That was their diagnosis. I'm concerned about the competence of the repair advice I'm getting... Should I ask for another tech or a supervisor to look at the problem? For example, could the heater core have a plug that affects only part of the duct work? Or is does all the air flow over the core and then gets separated out? Looking for help in managing my Infiniti shop to get at the real cause and lowest cost for repair

if the heater core was the problem you would have no heat or low heat output from all the vents

ask for another tech the service advisor do not work on cars and is just doing what the tech tells him or her

you should replace the blend door motor before you do any other repairs

t​he heater core is just kind of a bottle that store the hot coolant is has one hose going in and one coming out it do not control heated air flow just hot and cold in general

r u there ?

Here's the exact note: "Tech removed center console and adjusted mode door. Also found heater core has blockage on pass side. Removal and replacement is $2000.00"My rudimentary understanding is that the heater core is just a small radiator somewhere around the dash. So can their description of only part of it getting blocked happen?

it can get block in part yes but again there is only one core is if it was block it would cause all the vents to be cold or cool

the mode door do not control the hot and cold that is done by the blend door so he is checking the wrong door to start with

In addition when they finished, the upper vent air doesn't come through the vents -- it now blows up through the center speaker in the dash! Could they reconnect this wrong or is it just a door getting stuck?

they most have not connected it correctly

Originally taken in because no flow coming to floor vent. Then got stuck with no flow period (though fan was still blowing). That's why they looked at mode door and "unstuck" it.But blowing through the center speaker? that seems weird...Is there anywhere to get a diagram of this online? Looks like I'm going to have to help them troubleshoot this...

the diag will not show you what happens in the system just where parts are located

i just found a bulletin form infiniti

itb17-57

Understood - but a diagram (say and explosion diagram of the part locations, core, ducts, mode door, blend door, would help me see will help me see what's going on.awesome on the bulletin...
having trouble finding it...
got it - do you have a link to the whole bulletin -- this is just a jpg (picture)

r u with me still

arghhh - so it is the heater core

b​ot***** *****ne is base on the bulletin they are correct and i was incorrect the core do nned to be replace

an​d the thermostat and flush the system 3 times

it may be that half the core is blocked on that side

do you have any more questions

If I can live with the passenger temp being below normal (I rarely have anyone ride with me), then I can just get the mode door fixed and live with the passenger side problem?

yes you can

From a cost perspective:$640 for mode door replacement ($106 parts, 4 hour labor) vs. $2100 for the door and the heater core

that price is not bad base on what need to be done

Are you familiar with extended warranty info for infiniti?

yes

what warranty do you have

Mechanically, car is in great shape. Runs flawlessly. 80,400 miles. This is the very first issue - no other money put in it other than oil changes, brakes, normal wear parts. So I plan on keeping it for a while. Don't even know if extended waranty is a possiblity
I bought as certified pre-owned. The 100k 6 year warranty ran out 10 months ago

yes you can talk to the dealer about buying the extended but it only cover you to 8 years and 100,000 miles and it will run you about $1500

the $2,000 repair will be covered? If so, it's a no-brainer

if you get the security plus package yes

sorry that should have been security gold plus

oh boy - hate to ask about that... How much moola for that one?And do I get that from service department or sales department?

the price i told you before about $1500

sales

Got it. Talk to them directly? Or ask the service guy for an introduction? I'm guessing the service advisor doesn't want me to get the warranty - or does he care?

i done think they care we fix car no matter who pays

I just pop in and ask a sales person about extended warranties - that's the plan?

yes

Got it. Thanks for your time. Glad you were able to find the bulletin. I was about to go in "loaded for bear"

your welcome please rate the service before you go as this is the only way for me to get credit thanks.

3pac2222
3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician
3pac2222
3pac2222
3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician