Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

I have an infiniti i30 1997 and Jiffy Lube told me that I…

I have an infiniti...

I have an infiniti i30 1997 and Jiffy Lube told me that I have a bad sensor for both "Knock / Combustion Vibration Sensor / Circuit Bank 1 or single sensor" - PO325and Evap System PO440This is the reason my "Service Engine Soon" light comes on.What are the purposes for these? and how much am I looking at for this?
Can I purchase the sensors myself so it can be cheaper at a AutoZone and bring them to the service people?How will this affect my driving? will it ruin the engine if not repaired soon?Please advise,AngieHelp, this is my only source for vehicle to and from work.
***@******.***
***@******.***

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed a rough idle? Has there been any leaking?

Yes, a lot of leaking.... but I don't know where it comes from. I know the last time I paid for service, they replaced my starter and told me I had a hole in my radiator, and is leaking oil from my power steering and radiator and transmission.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your I30 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, i have no clue as to what to do.. i live alone with a freaking cat.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is it... thus far. Should i still keep driving my car or contact an Uber to and from work?

1/14/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, the knock sensor is installed on the engine block and detects pre-detonation in the combustion cylinders as the fuel is ignited by the spark plugs. If any pre-detonation is detected, the signal from the knock sensor is used to advance the engine timing to eliminate the pre-detonation.

When it is not working, then the timing is not advanced. This leads to poor gas mileage, hesitation or misfires, and if not repaired, over a year's time can lead to burned engine valves.

Labor time to replace the sensor is 3 hours, about $300. The sensor lists for $280.

As to purchasing yourself and having a shop install it, some shops will install customer bought parts, but will not warranty the work. This means that if the new sensor is defective, you will pay labor again to replace it.

The P0440 is for a leak in the evaporative emissions system. The evaporative emissions is series of vacuum hoses, vapor hoses and other parts that recycle the fuel vapors to both burn it in the combustion chamber and safely vent the excess.

As there is a leak in it, this means that vapor is being vented improperly, which can lead to reduced gas mileage as well as possible gas fumes you can smell.

At this point, a smoke test needs to be done to determine the source of the leak. This will run about $120 for a shop to do the test. Once the source of the leak is found, then a estimate can be given, but it can range from under $100 for a vapor line to over $600 for a fuel tank vapor vent valve .

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.... I'm going to have to do some saving before i can do any work.... however, i can still drive it for about a couple of months? Just until i save? because these luxery cars can wear and tear my bank account....

Yes, it is safe to drive 6 months or so. If you are not using it, make sure to use premium gas with higher octane rating. This will reduce the negative affects I mentioned for the bad knock sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great to know. Thank you so much! You've been very helpful and i can be at least at ease for a few weeks before i can save up for this work. :)

You are welcome and have a safe 2018

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager