Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Battery went dead... replaced with a new one. Went to change…

Customer Question
Battery went dead... replaced...

Battery went dead... replaced with a new one. Went to change brake pads on rear passenger side but couldn't get the caliper pin out. Car sat until I could get to the brake place. Meanwhile, it wouldn't start when I went to start it up. Tried jumping it, and still nothing. Replaced battery on key fob. Still won't start. Won't roll up or down windows.. won't unlock or lock doors remotely. Ideas???

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I did not check with a voltometer.. I have changed batteries before though.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?

2008 g37

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G37 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried new battery in car and in fob. At first, the new battery worked... started right up. But then, it sat for about a week and wouldn't start again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have a video of what the dash lights were doing... that's about it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Infiniti
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/13/2018
Infiniti Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

After sitting have you measured voltage at the battery?

I do not have the equipment to measure voltage on the battery.

You have a draw on the system and it could be running down the battery, if you have a way of taking the battery up to the auto parts store they can check and charge it for free and also check your fob battery and signal as well

Infiniti Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the battery dies while the vehicle is at rest yet the battery load tests good then there is a component drawing current when it should not be. Any component which receives a direct battery feed can cause a draw. The problem could literally be dozens of things and it will require some testing to determine the cause. It could be a light coming on or staying on (such as the glovebox light), a module staying awake, an aftermarket radio or amplifier, and the alternator can fail and cause a draw.

What needs to be done is an ignition off draw test. An ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post. If the draw exceeds 40mA then there is cause for concern. At that point fuses would either be removed one at a time or voltage drop across fuses checked to see what circuit current is flowing on, and then components on that circuit can be concentrated on.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.