Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've been having trouble with ignition, steering wheel and…

Customer Question
I've been having trouble...

I've been having trouble with ignition, steering wheel and gear shift "freezing" up. It takes several twists and turns to unlock it. Also, the key does not always unlock the car lately so I do not lock it. I figured I probably need new batteries in the remote.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

Now that you mention it, I have noticed some leaking under the car in the garage. It didn't have an aroma. I'm not sure how old the transmission is but has to be a few years old.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?

2000 I30 with 168,000 miles on it. It's been a great car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your I30 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I take it to a local mechanic that I found on Angie's List. He got high ratings and I've been very happy with the service. He just replaced "rotted rear muffler/over axle pipe assembly and exhaust gasket. I told him not to lock the car, but did not ask him to investigate the locking problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm thinking if I can get the car started today, I'll drive it straight to the local Infiniti dealer. If I can't start it, I'll call AAA.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Infiniti
1/2/2018
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 6 months ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have another key and does it do this same thing with the other key?