Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 Infinity QX56 sudden loss of power, battery is strong…

Customer Question
2008 Infinity QX56 sudden...

2008 Infinity QX56 sudden loss of power, battery is strong turns over and then dies

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Not battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your QX56 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tonight we added gas and gas treatment as it seems like it is acting like it is not getting fuel so we thought something may be clogged

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really the car has always run great just spent 3K at the dealership having a full check up about 3 months ago

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Infiniti
12/27/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 7 months ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does your truck have Intelligent Cruise Control? Do you recall having a Service Engine Soon light on when the truck was last running?

It has cruise control but no service engine light and we just had a full service at the dealership as I stated.

Did it rain or snow recently where you are located? The engine just turns over and doesn't start? Is the security light ON solid when the key is in the ON position?

It always rains we live in Seattle but it did just snow here about 2 inches. I do not know if the light is on I am in bed now it is 5 in the morning.

The reason I asked if you have Intelligent Cruise Control is cause I have seen where the Seal for the ICC laser fails and moisture seeps into the laser and shorts it and when that happens it back feeds the electrical system and can cause all sorts of whacky conditions and no start is one of them.

So the first thing I check is the security light. See if that light is off when the key is in the ON position. If the security light is OFF, that means it can read the chip in the key or read the remote depending on what type of ignition system you have. If the Security light is ON solid, then that is a indication that the chip in the key can not be read and that would keep the vehicle from starting.

The ICC laser is the most common thing to cause no start conditions when moisture is present.

Obviously you do not read well the car starts then it dies - it was driving and there was a sudden loss of power going up hill. It starts fine vroom vroom and dies like no gas is getting to the engine. I feel like this is some robot not paying attention. I am very frustrated with your answers that make no friggin sense!!!!!!!!!!!

That is exactly what the ICC laser can do .. When it back feed it can cause all sorts of issues. One way of verifying is to unplug it.

I have seen where the ICC laser can cause stalling, lack of power, all sorts of warning lights and so many different things.

Other wise, the only other thing you may want to check is the Fuel pump. I have seen them go as well.

I paid for this what a joke.

I am sorry you are not satisfied with my help.. I will put you in for a refund since you are not happy with my help...

Do not reply so I can process the refund