Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Power steering problmes. I had the pump replaced about 2…

Customer Question
Power steering problmes Mechanic's...

Power steering problmes

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

I had the pump replaced about 2 weeks ago. the steering fluid is leaking into my garage. It looks to be leaking from the top of the resevoir.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Yes i do hear whining noise while turning the wheel. 2002 inf q45

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Q45 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not fixing it myself. I took it to the dealership and they did the repair. My main problem is that it seems like the pump that came with the car failed they replaced it and it seems to have failed again. Im trying to figure out if its not the pump and something else is wrong.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Infiniti
12/18/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 4 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually, when the pump fails twice like this-this can indicate a fault with the power steering gear/rack and pinion gear assembly itself.It may be blocking pressure due to an internal fault with the gear assembly and is causing the back pressure to cause the pump to fail.

I would let the dealer know their repair didn't correct this issue or that there is an issue again.They may help with the costs and repairs since it sounds like they may have overlooked the main issue here.It also very possible the pump that was installed had a defect and has failed shortly after replacement needing replaced again.This would be done under parts warranty at no cost to you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

If it is the Rack and pinion thing. Does that cause the pump to be unuseable? Or can they fix the backpressure and get the pump to work again. Im asking because if the pump isnt gonna be bad then I've already been wrongly charged to have one pump replaced.

In many cases it can damage the pump to where both need replaced but with the new pump installed now it is possible once the rack fault is corrected the new pump may start to operate again.They would have to test this to see if the pump needs replaced as well.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician