Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Q45 with 112,000 miles. I recently had leaking…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Q45 with 112,000 miles. I recently had leaking value covers and had those replaced with Infiniti parts and had new spark plugs installed. Now, I have occasional weird revving of the engine when accelerating from a stop without power going to the rear wheels, as if the car had a clutch that was pushed in.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No, once the car gets rolling it shifts fine. I occasionally shift it in manual mode. No problem lights appear on the dash

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Q45 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, neither my local mechanic or Infiniti dealer have any idea whats going on

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Infiniti
12/14/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So can you tell me with both shops did to check this issue?

The local guy said to update the software and the top guy at the dealer who is good said no update was available and with no errors showing on the dash he had no real idea what was going on unless I just wanted to start throwing money at it checking intake manifold, mass air flow, etc which I don’t and why I contacted you.

ok I have a ton if questions, did the local guy or other guy relearn the throttle body? if its revs and you take your foot off the brake will it go?

Throttle body was checked it was fine. No car was not moving when it revved and foot was on accelerator not brake. Like I said, it was like the car had a manual clutch for the brief time it revved, then after pumping accelerator a bit car ran normally.

So it sounds like you have a transmission engagement issue, has the fluid been checked ? And did they relearn the throttle body though?

Infiniti Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago

hows it coming?