Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 03 Infiniti m45 that was recently purchased as a…

Customer Question
I have an 03 Infiniti...
I have an 03 Infiniti m45 that was recently purchased as a no start car at a good price. P/O stated it had ran fine the day before he parked it with no indication of hesitation. Was told it only needed a fuel pump. I've replaced it with a used one, the pump module, crank and cam sensors. It will start but not turn over. However I've gotten it to start twice with it only ran maybe 5 minutes then shut off. Almost coincidentally after the cold start rev down. It will run on starter fluid but no turn over. I only checked power to the module so far and its good. The pump is priming on as it was with the old one. My question is there some common problem for these cars to develop a no start? And where should I start in trying to solve this problem. I will also mention that I only have the metal key with the black base/computer chip. Security light shuts off when key is turned on so I figured the nats system wasn't a symptom.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Infiniti
12/10/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 7 months ago
nelson freitas

Hello, and thanks for using JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I have been an Automotive Technician for over 15 years.

I have done some research already and a few mentions of possible cam and or crank sensor problems, but you mentioned you had already replaced those.

I just have a few questions for you. you mentioned that it will start but not turn over. I just want to confirm what do you mean by that?

sir thanks. In meaning of the starter is engaging and turning the engine but not starting.
Infiniti Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 7 months ago

ok are you able to check for any engine codes?

I checked the codes but there was only 1 showing for a coolant temp sensor and figured it was irrelevent dealing with the no start. I want to replace the fuel pump relay but not sure where exactly it is located. Had seen a fuse board on the passenger kick panel with fuses behind it.
Infiniti Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 7 months ago

ok then I would suggest we start over to find out which direction we should go to resolve this no start.

Are you able to check for compression, spark at the ignition coils, and fuel pressure?

I don't have a fuel pressure tester or compression tester. May be able to rent those. Only have a voltmeter at the moment. I assumed the compression was fine because when it ran those two times there were no misfires or surging. Just a sudden shut off when the cold start procedure allows the idling to return to normal rpms. It will crank for 2-3 seconds like it wants to start but nothing.
Infiniti Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 7 months ago

you may be able to rent those, I do know that most parts stores do rent out many tools.

And you are right, I am sure compression will be ok if it ran that well. That also shows that there was good spark. That leaves the fuel supply left to test, and the best way to do that would be with a pressure tester.

But also what was that code for the coolant sensor you mentioned earlier?

P1119 code for coolant temp sensor and also p1612 for nats. I thought the metal key was an issue until speaking to a locksmith. He stated if the security light goes off while trying to start then the key isnt a problem. Are there any other possible/common areas as to what may be a symptom?
Infiniti Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 7 months ago

ok. I would first try to check for fuel pressure with an appropriate tester and then if there is sufficient fuel pressure I would suggest checking the engine timing. I have run into this situation before where the car will run off starting fluid but not on the fuel that is supplied because the valve timing is off a few teeth.