Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Service engine light (was told timing chain?) and now car…

Service engine light (was...

Service engine light (was told timing chain?) and now car jerking at low rates of speed

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Infiniti Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your Infiniti?

2011 G25

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G25 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No

12/10/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and i will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Having the codes would be helpful, but having someone condemn the timing chain by codes only is wrong. A compression test needs to be done to confirm valve timing being off.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
OK - so I'm trying to figure out whether to take it to the Infiniti dealer or a skilled repair shop. If it's the latter, I won't have experience with them, it will be someone new. The shop I've gone to gave me the bad info about the chain based solely on the code, and they have also replaced a sensor with an OEM part, that I understand can causes false symptoms that force the code to go in for the timing chain and the symptoms I'm having. Is that true? How much should this cost? Where should I take my car?

That's not true. There are no codes that could fault a timing chain. There are many qualified shops that can help you and also give you an estimate once they know what is wrong. Many people call AAA for a shop referral and are very pleased.

Thanks again, Ron

Were you satisfied with your free answer?

Thanks again, Ron