Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 infiniti g35x, whilst driving slowly the "AT check" and…

2004 infiniti g35x, whilst...

2004 infiniti g35x, whilst driving slowly the "AT check" and "check engine" light came on. After about 3 miles, I parked the car - noticed that lights still on, ans the dash display for "P,R,N,D" was blank. Turned off engine. Two later I couldn't start the car. Towed car home. Charged battery. Car will not start - dash lights up - that's all. No turn of starter motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

AT and Check Engine came on and stayed on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G35x yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried starting with shift lever in park, neutral, reverse and drive.

12/7/2017
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

There could be something going on with the TCM that can cause this. Are you able to scan the vehicle for codes?

I cant scan for codes. TCM meaning traction control mechanism - also is this an electrical problem, mechanical problem or both ? What prevents me from starting the engine?
my apologies about the delay - waiting for password ***** , then called away.
I prefer text , no need for phone call.

no problem.. I am now busy at this moment. Can you hang on a few?

I shall return tonight or tomorrow to continue

ok.. That would work better for me as well.

Let me know when you are available so we can continue...

Lets continue, please

I am very busy today.. I will do my best to help you with this issue.

So the TCM stands for Transmission Control Module. This has the Park / Neutral switch built into it. This switch the vehicle will only allow the starter to engage if it can detect if it's in Park or Neutral. So if there is something wrong with the TCM, it can certainly keep the engine from turning over.

The TCM is built into the Valve Body of the Transmission on your car. So because of the cost of what this repair could be, I would have it double checked. If bad, the valve body with Tcm is around 900 dollars or more.

It will take a advanced level scanner to verify my thoughts. But you always start with basics first. Such as check all fuses..

Ive check all fuses inside the car box located at the foot brake - and they are fine. Where are the other fuses located ?

You have a fuse box of course inside the car in the drivers kick panel. Then you have fuses under the hood by the battery, then you have another set of fuses in the IPDM which is located behind the battery. You would need to remove the wiper cowl cover to access that fuse box to check

Assuming all fuses are good. Is there a way to reset the cars electronics so that I can start the engine. I see some funny tricks on utube.

If you have a control unit failure. There is nothing you can do

That is why you will need a advanced level scanner to scan the systems for communications and codes to see what is going on.

OK, thanks Ill check the fuses.
That's enough for today, thanks very much

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. You Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

I'd like to know a little bit more .
a) is there other components that could cause the G35 to fail to start?
b) is there a way to bypass the TCM to start the car ?I remember the car was losing power to the wheels from a stationary position - but I could switch between drive and reverse for example. It was only after parking the car for a couple of hours - that it wouldn't start.Thanks.

Well, the first thing you need to do is scan the vehicle to see if you have any codes and to see if you can communicate with the TCM. If the TCM has failed, there is no way to by pass it I am afraid.

You said the engine does not turn over correct?

That's correct. The battery is fully charged.

Yeah..if the engine is not turning over, the first thing I check is to see if there is communication to the TCM and to see if it can determine if the car is in PARK or NEUTRAL. If the computer can't see the shifter position cause of TCM failure, then the engine will not turn over

Is the TCM the only component which communicates whether the engine should start. are there're other permissives?

There is a number of control units. They all talk to each other to enable operation for the vehicle to start.

Thanks. I see the need to use a scanner to determine exactly whats going on. But from the info you've provided - it seems 99% sure that the TCM is the culprit ... a $600 plus repair.

The first thing the computer looks for is to see if the car is in Park or Neutral. So it communicates with the TCM to determine that. Once it see's those signals, then the starter will engage and of course look for the engine signals to determine if it can start.

unless the car has a after market alarm, if that is active, that can also keep the starter from engaging if active.

Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Thanks for much for your assistance.
My G35 has had front bearing replacements, power steering HP hose leaking, air bag work, electric seats don't move, day time sensor failure, now this - not really the performance of a luxury vehicle.
Ill provide the rating - and wish you a great day.
Cheers Andrew

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician