Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

One of my igniton coils is not firing at all. All others…

Customer Question
One of my igniton...

One of my igniton coils is not firing at all. All others work just fine. I have voltage, ground, and continuity from the ignition coil back to the ecu plug. When I removed the ecu, there was a dark brown liquid caked up inside the plug which I think might be a leaking capacitor or spilled drink (either way I think it might have caused a short). I tried replacing my ecu with a spare from a similar year Q45 and the engine will crank and start for less than a second. Is there an immobilizer on the q45 and if so, how can I reprogram it. I have an solus edge scanner, but I do not have the consult cable adapter.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

They are new. And the car is used for daily driving mostly highway miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?

It is a 1997 Q45 Base Model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Q45 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. One of my igniton coils is not firing at all. All others work just fine. I have voltage, ground, and continuity from the ignition coil back to the ecu plug. When I removed the ecu, there was a dark brown liquid caked up inside the plug which I think might be a leaking capacitor or spilled drink (either way I think it might have caused a short). I tried replacing my ecu with a spare from a similar year Q45 and the engine will crank and start for less than a second. Is there an immobilizer on the q45 and if so, how can I reprogram it. I have an solus edge scanner, but I do not have the consult cable adapter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have also swapped coils to see if the dead cylinder would fire as well as replaced the spark plug.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Infiniti
11/28/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So for that you will need a code from the dealer to program the ecu

Ok. Would there be anything else causing one coil alone not to fire? Or does the potential short in the ecu sound plausible?

so the ecu does control each one of those individually so there will be a wiring issue or short in the ecu, have you checked the signal at the ecu yet?