Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am working on an 08 fx35 with an intermittent crank no…

Customer Question
i am working on an...
i am working on an 08 fx35 with an intermittent crank no start, more so extended crank. i never got the car to do it in my hands, so he took it to the dealer , and they said they couldn't get it to do it but they are saying its the unified meter. i went to wiring diagrams and found the meter and it has no direct relation(that i can find) to the pcms sensors. my question is what exactly is going on sensor- network- wise. i just want to understand specifically how they use inputs and outputs shared with each-other to cause a no start. it is a very common problem on the fx's apparently, and i want to know exactly whats going on so i can watch it with my scope to determine the reliability of there assumption.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Infiniti
11/26/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 7 months ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When the vehicle does run, Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on?

the vehicle always runs and there are no trouble codes. just a super intermittent extended crank.
do you have knowledge of the unified meter and its direct relation to the pcm, how it specifically ties to it and if any sensors are shared?

Did you replace any Cam sensors on the vehicle some what recently?

nothing has been replaced. i just need to understand how the unified meter can cause a crank no start. is it bussing a bad temp reading causing an over rich condition? i just want to learn about this component , not diagnose the car quite just yet.

Do you have something going on with your Unified Meter? That shouldn't keep the vehicle from starting.

Cam sensors are the most common.

its apparently a common problem on this year fx35. do the cam sensor drop outs prevent injector pulse or ignition coil firing?

Yes. As they fail, they can cause intermittent no start issues or hard start issues.

Since these sensors are primary sensors to determine spark and injector pulse, these would be the first thing I would change for your issue. But I would replace them with ones from the dealer. After Market sensors never work right and can continue to cause no start or hard start issues and not throw codes. If they do throw codes, normally they would throw Cam Sensor code or intake timing code which could make you think there is something wrong with the timing chains when it's only the sensors..

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Infiniti Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You opted out the person helping, preventing further communication. Did you no longer need help?

I would love to learn about the relationship between the two.

The only relationship the instrument cluster should have to a starting problem would be if it was going down and taking the bus down and the engine was being disabled due to security because the engine controller can't communicate.

That’s exactly what I was thinking but because it also watches the crank signal and intake air temp ( according to all data and wiring diagrams) I always assume it’s something whimsical. The unified meter is considered the instrument cluster? I know it controls inputs to the ip..

Unified meter is another name for instrument cluster.

Sorry if I’m seeming confused but Nissan calls the unified meter,also a a/c amplifier. Which controls the hvac. Which is a white module next to the radio. The instrument cluster I would think is the cluster of instruments above the steering wheel that communicates or is directly controlled by the said white module... or am I crazy. Lol

The same would apply to the a/c amplifier or any other module, the only way it's contributing to a starting problem is if it's affecting the bus network.