Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Sunroof won't close on my 2002 i35. yes. i checked the fuse…

Customer Question
Sunroof won't close on...

Sunroof won't close on my 2002 i35

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your I35 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hi. yes. i checked the fuse & pulled the switch to clip 2 wires to try to bypass the switch by putting the wires together.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

No. i isn't check for that.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes 1 more thing The sunroof opened 3" on it's own and then just froze

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Infiniti
11/19/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 8 months ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If I am seeing this correct, if you have the sunroof open, the shade can be closed? Is that correct?

Why did you cut those wires on the switch? You are not going to be able to reconnect them, and you are going to need a switch now...

Hello Jay.
1) I can slide the shade back and forth by hand.
2) I cut the wires because I thought I would be able to solder the wires back if needed. But the switch had been very unresponsive so I thought the switch was on it's way out & I tried to prove my theory with a bypass. In hind sight I was rushed for a quick 400 mile emergency road trip & probably should have made a jumper but didn't have the time to search up the schematics that were simple enough on the fly.
Is their a way to manually shut the sunroof with an allen key or wrench to spin the motor manually? O some other manual technique to close the sunroof?Also, given that the car is running fine with no other know issues, can you give me the trouble shooting steps to try?

Can you close the shade completely?

No. The shade stop where the sunroof stops which is about 3 inches from closed.

Ok.. Well with out seeing it, it's hard to determine. But look at the sunroof motor and see if you have this emergency close hex.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bp2qw8qvilaojmy/Sunroof%20emergency%20close%2003%20alitma.jpg?dl=0

I didn't see that on the motor. Is that off the motor or on the motor?

Since you have the switch down, looking at the sunroof motor..

Other wise, if you take the motor out, it would require force, but the glass should move. I normally have a second person palm the top of the glass while I push

No emergency close hex.. Darn!! So I would drop the motor and pull the glass closed..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lshky0h7cl7dsba/1%20Sunroof.pdf?dl=0

That is the complete sunroof chapter from the factory service manual.

That is in the wiring diagram I just shared..

Can you look at the wiring diagram and tell me which of the wires (green, red, yellow, white) to jump to close?

1 min

It's tough cause the CPU that controls the sunroof motor is in the Sunroof motor.. The Purple wire is power.. Trying to figure out which other may work..

Looks like pin 3, but it's not giving me a wire color

Did you see the picture I last sent of the wire choices? I only saw green, red, yellow & white wires going to the motor from the sunroof switch.
I need two pins to jump/bridge. Which 2 pins (or wire colors) do I jump/bridge?
The sunroof switch clip has spots for 6 pins/wires, but only 4 pins have wires going to them.

Yeah.. Don't worry about it being 6 pins. It only has 4 wires..

Yeah, that why I'm wondering which 2 pins/wires you want me to jump to close the sunroof. I don't know which spot pin 3 is. Also I don't know what you want me to jump pin 3 to. Please tell which 2 pins to jump.

It's tricky cause of the CPU in the sunroof. You could pop that CPU if you jump it. That is why I would just remove the motor and just close it.

Ok I will try that for a temporary fix and then go through the manual section you sent me. Thank you.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com