Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2 of my spark plugs are bad. 98000 just recently. 2009

Customer Question
2 of my spark...

2 of my spark plugs are bad

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When was the last time the plugs were changed?

98000 just recently

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2009 infiniti g37

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G37 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just want to talk to chris

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Infiniti
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
A buddy of mines passed down his vq engine to me,
i rebuilt mines and his was rebuilt incorrectlyThe problem with his is that its misfiring randomly across cylinders and possibly has a blown head gasket
We did a leak down test in all 6 cylinders while the car was stone cold around 60Fcylinder 1
Input 70PSI Output : 55psi (21.4%)
50psi:41psi (18%)
30psi : 25psi (16.6%)Cylinder 2
70:68psi (2.857%)
50:49 2%
30.7psi: 28 8.79%Cylinder 3 :
70/64 8.57% leakage
50/46.5psi 7%
30/29 3.3%cylinder 4 and 5 has no leakage at all if any less than 1%cylinder 6 has70/64.5 (7.857%)
50/47 6%
30/28.5 5%spark plugs 1 and 5 are black and smell like burned oil,oil cap has condensation of steamed water mixed with oils on itradiator cap has about 1 medium bubble come from it every 3 or 4 seconds
also car has been sitting for 5 months with no fuel stabilizer so octane rating may have went down
11/14/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 9 months ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is***** and thank you for your question.

What brand spark plugs do you have installed? Also when you are monitoring the coolant at the radiator neck, how long have you bleed it to see the bubbles ever 3 to 4 seconds?

Also when you are going the compression test, did you disable the fuel system?

Didnt do a compression test, it may be air bleeding from the radiator but the coolant level doesnt go down when bubbles come up. They are brand new oem spark plugs
These are the numbers of a leak down test

Oh, you have this engine all torn down?

What was the original issue with the engine?

the original story goes as someone was trying to take out their spark plugs, a proper deep socket for a spark plug was not used, and the socket that was used barely gripped onto the spark plug, no an impact wrench was not used. This in turn transferred the torque up the porcelain part of the spark plug and shattered the top of it.a small bit fell down the combustion chamber
car was not ran but attempted to very very quickly use the starter to allow the piston to be at bdc so inspection with a bore scope was easierthis scratched the cylinder wall with 1 scratch or 2
engine was torn apart, cylinder block sent to a machine shop
scratch was fixable with just a hone.now engine was assembled again dry with oem head gaskets.
new rings new everything
a faulty angle wrench left the person who assembled the engine with no time but to guess the torque angle,
there may be a possibility of one head being only torqued to 95° instead of the required 190°
in that case only one head should be leaking, this may or may influence the spark plugs on cylinders 1 and 5 to become filled with burnt oillaptop and obd says car is running lean with 8° timing
car is not disassembled, anymore, but was in progress of being torn down by me once i heard of the situation.
my assumption is head gaskets were not sealed correctly, and currently front timing cover and timing chains are off the engine as we speak.
from the leak down test results i have provided,
i cannot start the car to warm it up as it is halfway disassembled,
any way to confirm the head gasket is the culprit.
when car was running, it was put under no load and was left idling until all codes were to be resolved, the last code left was multiple cylinder random misfire. and upon inspection of the oil cap, the milky oil residue was found,I dont understand how the car is running lean yet produces black spark plugs that smell like burnt oil and gas

Bad Maf sensors can do that. If they are not metering air properly. Bad 02 sensor could do that also..

What codes are you getting?