Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1999 infinity QX4. Transmission seized up and I…

Customer Question
I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 infinity QX4. Transmission seized up and I purchased a used trans and had it installed by transmission mechanic. I got the car back and noticed the 4wd idiot light comes on now and the drive icon turns off --after a few moments after driving. I seem to have 4H and 4L but when I turn the know to auto-all wheel drive--it makes a funny sound and when I turn it back to*****it makes a loud thud sound asit switches into 2wd. 2wd seems to operate properly. Do I need a new transfer case? or did the trans repair mechanic just fail to hook up something? Help

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

I don't know. I always just assumed I did have power steering because it steers so easily. Do you think low or leaking power fluid could cause the problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your QX4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not fixing it myself--I just got it back yesterday and the trans shop was closed when I picked it up. I left them a voice mail about it. What I have done on my own so far is google the situation and I see this is a common problem withthis car--but I do not know what caused it and whether it is moething in addition to the bad transmission problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only that it 4wd/Awd system was working fine beforethe trans seized up. This problem manifested after the replacement used trans was installed. Thank you

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Infiniti
11/12/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 5 months ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Was the transmission changed with the Transfer Case or did you re-use your transfer car?

I reused the same transfer case
I did not reace the transfer case. Only the transmission

This sounds like something in the transfer case is not working right, or something may not have been plugged in.

Your transfer case has a motor on it to select gears... Try this.. Put the truck in 4 low and go a few feet. Then put the truck into neutral and put it into 2 wheel then back into gear, and see if the transfer case responds and operates properly..

Ok give me 5 minutes. Will do now

ok

Just tied that and it worked for a few meets then the Orange 4wd idiotihjt came on again and the drive icon went dead altogether
Is there something else I can try?

Then we need to scan the*****system for codes..

How can I do that!

You would need a scanner to do that..

I've also noticed that the steering seems a little more sluggish than normal
I don't have a scanner. I am in New Jersey --maybe I can find one tomorrow
What sort of codes would I be looking for?

Steering should really have nothing to do with it.

We need to see what codes are stored so the proper diagnostic steps can be done to determine what is going on with the transfer case operation..

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician