Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1997 QX4 has a steering problem. I'm guessing that it is…

Customer Question
My 1997 QX4 has...

My 1997 QX4 has a steering problem. I'm guessing that it is the rack and pinion assembly. It makes a popping sound under the hood when the wheel is turned. The steering wheel spokes are sometimes straight ahead, and sometimes cocked several degrees counterclockwise. First question: Does that sound like the rack and pinion are failing? Second question, is it safe to drive 100 miles on an interstate highway (75 MPH) to an Infiniti dealership? to get it fixed

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

Yes, and yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your QX4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not done anything. I've never replaced a rack and pinion assembly, although I have done other steering components like tie rods and steering knuckles on older USA-made vehicles. I think I will have this problem fixed by an Infiniti dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My two questions are not "how to fix it," they are "is it rack and pinion" and "is it safe to drive 100 miles to an Infiniti dealer."

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Infiniti
11/11/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: camerontech, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic

hi there,

im cam , a licenced diagnostic tech

your description of your problem is sounding like a front end issue like a ball joint that is loose in the socket.
this would be a lot less expense of a repair if this is the case

If you have had this for a while you should be safe to drive this to your dealership or repair shop

If this happened after a large pothole or bump, then i would recommend towing it as it could have broken something and is on the verge of the wheel locking and popping out of its socket

power steering racks when worn will tend to leak and have low power assist.

in shorter form yes you have a rack and pinion system and you will be safe to drive if this has been gradually getting worse

let me know how you make out!

please take a moment to rate me and i am always available for follow ups at no extra charge!

thanks and i appreciate postive ratings!

cam

OK - If it is a ball joint, as you suggested, is that consistent with the steering wheel disorientation that I described?

yes, totally

the steering wheel can change position depending on how it is sitting in the socket

cam

let me know how you make out.

please dont forget to rate me!

thanks!

hi there

your two initial questions were answer

a rating would be appreciated as this is the only way i am paid by just answer

A rating of 3 to 5 stars is appreciated and continues any help you need

thanks!

cam