Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

My G37 coupe 2009 will not turn off, it has done this a

couple of times and it...
My G37 coupe 2009 will not turn off, it has done this a couple of times and it did it today again. I have had to stall the car both times in order to turn it off. Today, I was driving and the instrument cluster went crazy, almost every gauge was dead, wipers, turn signals, AC would not work, and finally close to home, the car would not go past 2nd gear (it's a automatic transmission). At home, I had to disconnect the battery to turn it off. Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks
10/12/2017
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Have you been able to find a way to stall the car?

Also, do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the car is running?

Also let me know if you have a volt meter to do some basic checks..

when I was driving today almost every light on the cluster turned on all the sudden

That sounds like it could be a alternator not charging. Do you have a volt meter so we can verify this?

I was able to stall the car to turn it off. I left it with the ground to the battery off for a couple of hours. I just plugged back it but now it would not start but I can see the fans of the radiator working

When the Alternator is not charging properly, items will turn off so power can be directed to keep the car running. Plus you can warning lights due to low system voltage..

Oh. When the ignition is turned on, the radiator fans come on?

The car is acting all crazy all the sudden

That is a sign of control unit failure I am afraid. Most commonly the Ecm. This will require a advanced level scanner at this point to do what they call a CAN system test... Let me explain what that is...

So the CAN system is a communication network that all control units communicate with each other over. So when you do a CAN system test, you are seeing which control units are able to communicate. So if one is not communicating, then you can check that control unit. The Ecm is the most common if the Radiator fans come on.

If that needs to be replaced, the computer comes blank and the software has to be written to it. At the same time have all keys present, cause all keys ( remotes ) will need to be reprogrammed to the car.

Do you have any more questions on this?

The dealer is the only one that is able to fix this? Any idea how much would it cost there?

the dealer is the only place I know of that can write the software to the new Ecm. Unless you can find a mobile tech that can do this. The Ecm is around 800 if found bad, and you would be looking at around 3 to 4 hours labor to diagnose, replace and program everything.

Wow, that's a costly repair

Yeah.. I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but you are going to hear it from someone eventually

If I buy the ECM on my own, brand new and take it to the dealer, would they do the reprograming?

Well, I would do the proper checks to verify before you buy the Ecm. Even though the Ecm is the most common thing to fail and cause the fans to come on. You always want to double check!

What if there is a broken wire to the Ecm, that can also cause it. So you want to have the proper checks done

I found this service on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-G37-ECM-ECU-PCM-Engine-Computer-Repair-amp-Return-Infiniti-ECM-Repair-/322526776375?
Is that something you would recommend as an alternative?
Do you know of any technicians here in south Florida that can do this work on the side. I really don't want to spend $1000 on the dealer.
Sorry, for too many questions but I'm trying to see what options I have

I totally understand why you would ask questions.. I do not I am afraid..

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Oh well. Thanks for your help
Following up on this question. I had the ECM tested and it seems to be ok, any other ideas of what the problem might be? Thanks

I said that the issue is most commonly the Ecm. Did they do a full system CAN test to check communication with all control units? How did they test the Ecm? Did they do a Terminal Reference check..

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician