Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Infiniti G20 and i have been having a problem…

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Infiniti...
I have a 2001 Infiniti G20 and i have been having a problem with it starting when it wants to. I have recently changed the fuel pump and filter about 4 months ago. I also tried to change fuel pump relay but did the same thing. Can you help me understand what to look for?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Infiniti
10/10/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 8 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is it cranking over with the starter but not starting with this issue here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

I have Checked for spark and I get spark. I have cleaned out throttle body and mass flow sensor.
I have driven the car for week or a few days at a time with no symptoms and then the car doesn't start again. Now the car is not starting. I can't figure it out.

When this occurs do you hear your new pump hum or buzz from the fuel tank area with the key on or when cranking over the engine?

I have checked the voltage from pump and removed a gas line to see if it pumps gas.

O.k.,have you tested injector pulse signals at all?

No not sure how to do that.

Can you access any of the fuel injector electrical connections at all?

I can't unplug any without taking off intake.

Is there an intermediate harness connection at all that leads to the injectors that you can access to unplug?

O.k.,that may be the intermediate connector sitting on top there.Are there 4 brown/red or black/red wires as well as red/black,yellow/black,green or gray/black and a light blue/black wire in it?

That looks to be it.The black wires with red stripe should have around 12 volts DC on them with the key on.The other wires should have an off/on ground pulse when cranking over the engine.Test these signals and see if your missing power or flashing ground pulse.If your missing power check the 10 amp fuse 25 to make sure its o.k.If it is o.k. then the ignition switch has failed needing replaced.

If you have the 12 volts but no ground pulse this can be a fault with the cam position sensor as it sends signals to the engine computer to tell it when to pulse the injectors.
If you have both of these signals let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I will not be able to further check it until tomorrow but I will reply when I check it. Thank s

Your welcome

Let me know when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Ok Pete I did what you asked and I do have voltage going to the the injector harness. I did get 2 codes for O2 sensors which I have replaced. I replaced a couple of relays to ignition switch relay and ECM relay. Car now starts but only stays on for a couple of minutes.

I apologize for the delay as I was offline.

When it stalls out after a couple of minutes are you losing fuel pressure, spark or injector power or ground pulse signals?

Thanks for trying to help but I'm just taking car to a shop. I wanted to speak to someone with specific knowledge on Infiniti cars that could have a much more direct response. Thank you

Your welcome