Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

Tire grabs pavement when turning and something "gives" in…

Customer Question
Tire grabs pavement when turning...
Tire grabs pavement when turning and something "gives" in the steering/suspension. Like walking down the street if your shoe grabs the pavement and you knee moves beyond what's "normal." Also, when going over speed bumps I feel a rattle in the front end.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Infiniti
10/10/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 4 months ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I am not sure I understand your question. Also what year and Model Infiniti is this?

2008 G35S
Noticed when I am backing out of a parking space, the tire grabs and something seems to give way in the suspension and then the tire moves. Have noticed a hard bump when backing out of my driveway (2" drop in the pavement). I drove my son's 2007 Acura TL and it was very smooth when backing out of the drive. This may just be a difference in makes. Just seems a little odd an Acura would be smoother suspension than Infiniti.

this is a*****Sedan?

2wd 4 door sedan

The Acura is a Front Wheel Drive vehicle, where the Infiniti is either a Rear wheel or AWD vehicle. So you can't compare these two vehicles. They are totally different.

If this is a*****sport, the car has staggered wheels where the back wheels are bigger than the front. So if the tires were rotated ( which they shouldn't ) this can certainly cause this. So I would check the tire sizes and see if the bigger tires are on the front.

Tire sizes are good. Only rotated rear/rear and front/front. Rear wheel drive. Is there anyway I can check suspension components myself? The dealership here is notorious for recommending extra work. The struts are after market Monroe's if that matters. It just doesn't seem as smooth as it used to be and the tire grabbing is odd to me.

This is a Sport right? You can't rotate the tires cause the Rim Sizes are different as well as the tire sizes..

Correct, the rear tires were swapped left rear to right rear and vice-versa. Same for the front.

Is this a Sport?

G35Sport

Sports have two different size rims. As well as two different size tires. If you open the drivers door, there is a sticker on the body which shows what the front and rear tire sizes should be. I have seen where some tire places get the wrong size tires to fit on the wider rims. Are you able to take wheels off to check the rims to see if the bigger ones are on the front? Cause this can certainly cause your issue. Were tires recently rotated.

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician