Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1997 Infiniti I30 won't start. I was told I need to reset…

Customer Question
My 1997 Infiniti I30...

My 1997 Infiniti I30 won't start. I was told I need to reset the factory alarm so it will start. All security lights work. New battery and alternator. All lights, air and windows work. Car won't turn over. Had issues back in May with it starting and mechanic told me to turn the car on, wait ten seconds then the car should turn over. That is no longer working. I forced the alarm to go off, turned it off with my key, but car still didn't start. Unhooked the battery for 10 minutes, and that didn't work either. Hast started in 3 days. Prior to no starting, there was a delay between me turning the key all the way and the car actually starting

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

The security light blinks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your I30 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, doing it myself. Explained all that I've done so far in the initial message

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

May was the first time it wouldn't start.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Infiniti
9/26/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 7 months ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

How handy are you? Does any warning lights sound when you try to start the car? Do you hear a single click when trying to start the car?

The alarm only goes off if you stick your hand in the window, unlock it and open the door after being locked with the inside botton. (Forcing the alarm) the alarm has no very gone off while trying to start the car. But putting the key in the ignition will stop the alarm. When turning the car on, the lights on the dashboard will light up and a beep will go off five times, then when you go to crank the engine, yes, there's a single click (as if battery is dead) the 3 days prior to car not starting, when I went to crank the engine (turn key all the way) there was a delay, but the engine would eventually kick over

When the alarm is going off, what lights are flashing?

I rolled down the driver side window, closed the door and locked it with the key. I reached inside the window and unlocked the door. The alarm went off. The front headlights were flashing and the horn was going off. I didn't see the tail lights blinking (could be due to the sun glare). I put the key in the door, turned the key, and the alarm went off. While sitting with the driver door open, security light is blinking. When I put the key in, and turn it to the first notch, security light stops blinking and car gives off beeping sound until door is closed. Turn the key to second notch, all lights, air and windows are now powered up. When I go to crank the car (even after waiting several seconds) I get that single click sound. I have tried turning the car on and off several times then turning it over, but car won't start. I also disconnected both battery cables yesterday for 10 minutes and it didn't work

Thank you.. That is the factory alarm. So if you take the mechanical key and use it in any of the door lock cylinders or trunk lock cylinder, that will turn off the factory alarm.

give that a try and let me know how you make out...

Just use the key to lock and unlock the car in the drivers door, if the alarm still sounds, try on the passenger door or Trunk

I've never tried turning the alarm off using any other key cylinder but the driver side door. But yes, the alarm goes off when I put the key into the drivers door. My problem is not turning the alarm off. My problem is getting the car to start. If I make the alarm go off, and put the key into the trunk or passenger door, will it reset the factory alarm and allow the car to start?

Well after you get the alarm off with the key, see if the vehicle starts.. Also pay attention to see if you are getting any clicking? Multiple or Single click when trying to start the car and let me know...

Infiniti Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You opted out the person helping, preventing further communication. Did you no longer need help?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician