Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Right now it won't start. Drove it all day in this terrible…

Customer Question
Right now it won't...

Right now it won't start. Drove it all day in this terrible heat of 90 degrees. Been having problems since last October. Dealer put new starter and did other maintenance work. Took it to another dealer last Spring and they initially thought key fob was messed up but later startingbwas still an issue. Nowvtheybthinkmitbmaybbe fuelmpump. Got an appointment with themnThursdaybyonchevknitbagain. Got an extended older car warranty to cover under the hood problems. Will see?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Yes we checked that a while ago I think at the old dealer I went to and the new dealer switched the old one with the valet fob that wasn't used much.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '90 Infiniti?

It's a 2005 G35. 144,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G35 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Been to certified Infinity dealers for all work. They put in a new starter. The only thing I don't think they ever did was a new alternator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can think of anything else now.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Infiniti
9/26/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 10 months ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When the car does not start, what does the car do exactly? Does it turn over and not start? or does it not turn over?

It hesitates at first but it is turning over and it makes like a choking sputtering sound and I feed it gas and it goes on and starts, but tonight it wouldn't catch. Tank is full !

Thank you, ***** ***** helpful.

The issue is most commonly the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor. This has a intake Air Temp sensor which plays a factor in operation of the MAF sensor. Now when it comes to MAF sensors, they are known not to totally fail. They just don't meter air properly or read intake air temp properly which can cause issues like this.

Do you have a Cold Air Intake or K&N air filter?

That's why dealer thinks it is fuel pump not feeding gas to starter. Remember other dealer put a new starter in. New battery was put in since last Ictober. Only thing that hasn't been added was a new alternator. People keep asking about that???

I am not saying Starter or Alternator.. Did you read what I said and asked you?

I don't know about the type of air intake Cold air or KandN type, but I will bring it up for them to check. I have an appointment on Thursday but since it isn't starting tonight I may get it towed tomorrow. Do you think all of this heat can affect that intake flow sensor?

Try this.. Simply test, but will cause a Service Engine Soon light..

Unplug the MAF sensor and see if it starts..

Service Engine Soon light has been on for a while in the last month. That light caused me to fail inspection. I will ask dealer to disconnect that MAF sensor. I don't know where it is to do this and I don't have anyone around to show me. Maybe I can google a photo of where it is under the hood?
I saw a photo of it so just unplug it? That check engine soon light had been on and off all summer. I will try to unplug it in the morning. It is 10 pm now in DC.

Yeah.. Unplug it it and see if the car starts up

I couldn't recognize MAS sensor under hood from photo on You Tube. It started at 8 this morning and I drove it the three blocks to my house and left it parked all day. I went to start it about 7 this evening and it started. I will try to drive it to dealer for my appointment on Thursday the 28th. I will ask them to check the sensor.

Ok, Let me know how you make out..