Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Won't go faster than 5 mph. Computer must have limited speed…

Customer Question
Hi. Won't go...

Hi. Won't go faster than 5 mph

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?

Computer must have limited speed to 5 mph because it said i think i recall cleaning of the maifold

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Infiniti?

2003 Infiniti m45

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your M45 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had moved to oakland ca from los angeles but had to leave my car in la brcause i drove a uhaul up but now I'm in la again to pick up my car but cannot even drive it now faster than 5 mph. I haven't done anything yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The vdc maintenance msg comes on when starting the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes Bought a new battery

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Infiniti
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/24/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

unless you have a check engine light on (which you don't mention) then this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

Infiniti Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 10 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you