Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2009 INFINITI G37S, 93042km. P0524 recurring error code.

Customer Question
2009 INFINITI G37S, 93042km...

2009 INFINITI G37S, 93042km. P0524 recurring error code. Dealer suggesting replacing rear timing cover, chains, tensioners and guides. +/- $ 3,800. Is this necessary ?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When was your last oil change?

Synthetic oil changed +/- 90,000 km

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G37x yourself? What have you tried so far?

Dealer diagnostic. Codes were cleared but hard code still present

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

They performed systems check found intake valve solenoids B1 and B2 at 35 and 35 degrees.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Infiniti
9/21/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 10 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

Hi welcome to just answers my name is ***** ***** you have a hard code on bank one and bank two, this means the timing is off on both heads because you have excessive chain and guide end play, this will affect valve timing and affect performance and at the long run damage the engine. Can you tell me how many miles are on the odometer.

93042 km
error code P0524 which I understand an oil pressure code

yes the guides that control chain tension are loosing oil pressure this is cause by the timing chain back cover The P0524 code detecting condition: Engine oil pressure is low because there is a gap between angle of target and phase-control angle. They list anything that can cause the Intake Valve Timing (IVT) to be off as a possible cause of this code setting.

No, they indicated repair procedure recommend replacing timing chains, tensioners and gaskets and recheck. $ 3,860

you can always have another shop perform the test before putting all that money in to it this test consist of hecking the oil pressure at hot idle. Let the engine idle hot for 5 to 10 minutes and see if the oil pressure is good or if it is dropping low. The oil pressure specification is more than 14 PSI at idle and more than 43 PSI at 2000 RPM.
If the engine oil pressure is low, the most common cause has been a plate gasket leaking on the rear timing cover. The fix for that it to replace the rear timing cover. Would need to remove the front timing cover and inspect the gasket on that plate to determine if it is blown out and also check if the screws are tight that hold that plate to the rear timing cover. The plate is a pistol shaped plate between the camshaft sprockets.
Check scan data for the IVT degrees and IVT solenoid % duty and compare bank 1 and bank 2. Both should be at 0% duty and 0 degrees of IVT at idle and both should go up on acceleration.
Can manually operate the two IVT solenoids at idle and check how the engine responds as necessary.

the chain is replace because it has to be removed to replace the rear cover.