Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Two problems. 1st is a stumble when the car is in the Cruise…

Customer Question
Two problems. 1st is...

Two problems. 1st is a stumble when the car is in the Cruise mode. its barely noticeable but noticeable just the same,. Second and more troubling is the Cruise disengages on its own. sometimes it will stay in the cruise mode for 50 -60 miles or it will disengage almost immediately after it is set! HELP!

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '50 Infiniti?

Sorry is a 2002 I-35

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your I35 yourself? What have you tried so far?

If I can fix it myself I will but this is my first try at checking into the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thag should do it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Infiniti
9/21/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

Hi welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo. does the engine light turns on when this happens, have you check for any codes stored on memory?

nothing comes up in the memory
NO engine lights come on either

does it stumbles also when not using the cruise control?

not noticeable when not in Cruise

will it resume acceleration after it turns off or do you have to press set to activate it again?

Have to reset the Cruise or hit resume

sounds like you have a bad cruise control switch , have you replace this switch?

On this vehicle the Engine Control Module (ECM) sends out approximately 5 volts to the cruise control switch. The switch when connected pulls it down to about 4 volts. When the cruise control switch is pressed, the voltage changes. When the "ON" switch is depressed the voltage should read 0 volts.
When the "SET" switch is depressed the voltage should read around 2 volts and when the switch is released the voltage should go back approximately 4 volts.
When the "ACCEL/RES" switch is depressed, the voltage should read approximately 3 volts and when the "CANCEL" switch is depressed the voltage should read approximately 1 volt. If the reference voltage is correct, then look for a faulty cruise switch or a clockspring or connection issue.

Thank you I will replace the Cruise Control Switch and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks

you are welcome.

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech